Author Topic: Crinkle Hub  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
Crinkle Hub
« on: 09.01. 2010 14:16 »
My 51 Plunger GF has a crinkle rear hub, and i have just discovered that the rivets are a little loose. these hold the 2 crinkles and the core of the hub together. Realizing this situation would not be unusual, can some of you guys, who offer great advice much of the time, tell me what you have done to remedy this please?

I am really reluctant to unspoke the hub unless there is absolutely no alternative. is it possible to press the rivets again while still in the "wheel"? I have less than 1/8 inch forward slop in the hub and the rim has just a bit more slop off centre.

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
Re: Crinkle Hub
« Reply #1 on: 10.01. 2010 09:28 »
Hi,not an expert on this but i think it sounds as if its time to bite the bullet- the play you describe will only get worse and surely will mean an MOT fail. (I find spoking wheels quite enjoyable -but then I`m from Up North!!!!)Jobs never seem so bad once the plunge is taken!!! Try the SRM website-I seem to remember reading something on there about  just such a repair as it does seem to be a common fault HTH, Regards, Bob

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 10.01. 2010 13:16 »
Thanks Bob, all I can find on the SRM site is their offer to rebuild it. If you saw part of the site that tells HOW to rebuild it, I'm seriously interested, but I suspect that if they are offering a service in one hand, they are harly likely to tell us how to in the other. But I do wish I had dug around their site a lot more while I was rebuilding. lotsa good info in there.

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 10.01. 2010 17:13 »
i found this on the srm web site hope it helps you   
QD hub spline repair

Have a worn rear hub spline? Rivets loose? We have made the three different types of rear hub inner sleeves with the splines to Suit A7 A10 B31 B33 A50 A65. The sleeve is available on its own, or you can send in your old hub for reconditioning, we strip hub, clean the hub halves, reassemble with new inner sleeve and rivets and stove enamel the complete hub - so the hub is as new again!

Service    Price
Inner splined sleeve bare all types    Â£50.35
Recondition hub with new sleeve, rivets and paint assembled    Â£95.40

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 13.01. 2010 15:10 »
As a temporary measure to hopefully get the bike past the Inspection tomorrow I have shimmed the inner sleeve on the rear axle on both sides. this has removed the lateral slop and it's pretty good... for now. I have also found that by choosing a bolt (with nut threaded up a bit from the bottom) that almost fits between to opposite rivet heads in the inner sleeve and then unscrewing the nut, one can get good tension between the 2 rivet heads. It's then a matter of using a centre punch on the outer face of each rivet and going through the process to get all of them done... end result a good temporay fix. I have no forward slop on the rear hub at the moment. once winter sets in I'll be looking to rebuild the rear wheel properly, and who knows maybe ordering the bits from SRM. thanks for the info.

PS Took it for a test run today. firt time I have ever riden it... had it in bits for 30 odd years... man it's as sweet as !!!!!  *smiley4*

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 13.01. 2010 19:46 »
Koooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Feeling-I`m way off that day yet,mountain to climb etc.etc.,but i live in hope.... Enjoy!Bob

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 13.01. 2010 21:21 »
Enjoy, but REMEMBER to fix it SOON !!!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.05. 2024 22:01 »
I wonder if he ever did?