Author Topic: Newbie in western New York  (Read 800 times)

Offline cpete

• Active
  • Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wish my bike wa.
Newbie in western New York
« on: 18.01. 2012 15:39 »
Hello all,
I'm new to vintage bike game, and excited to be a part now.
I have wanted a Cafe Racer, but didn't have the money to buy what I wanted, or know how to build one.
I'm the guy who had one fall on his doorstep almost literally.
A neighbor threw an old British bike out on his curb for garbage collection.
Another neighbor told me about it after he checked that it really was garbage.
We pushed it across the street and figured we could get a couple hundred on eBay for it.
After researching and help from members of this and another forum, we found out it was a 1961 BSA Super Rocket.
It sold for a grand, but all bidders were overseas, and I wasn't going to break down and ship it.
So I decided to keep it and start sinking money into it.
I'm dismantling now and it now sits in pieces in my basement.
Pistons are stuck, and a bit of rust, but not too bad otherwise.
I'll be taking frame in for little fixes, beadblast and powder coat.
And will be looking for someone close to rebuild the engine.
Just don't trust myself to do it right.
Would love to be involved, but realize that probably won't happen.
Any suggestions on good builders in my area would be great.
Sorry to be long winded, just really excited about being a Beeza guy now.
I'll shut up now.
Chad
Chad

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Newbie in western New York
« Reply #1 on: 18.01. 2012 16:25 »
Not long winded at all Chad, if someone threw out a super rocket near me i'd be shouting for joy and wouldn't shut up for a month at least and none would get me to part with ,I think noone else has replied yet as they are all completely dumb struck at your good fortune .welcome to the forum by the way ,you've found the best place for advice to put it back together and once you've ridden it you'll be hooked for life! I'm heading for a quite ,shaded room to contemplate your goodluck and think where someone might be throwing out it's mate,oh whats your address by the way and  Richard just how far is New York from Liverpool?  Best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 18.01. 2012 17:52 »
Is it April 1st already? *conf*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 18.01. 2012 19:26 »
 G'day Chad, you lucky bugga. Welcome to the forum.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 18.01. 2012 20:13 »
Chad,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, our members outside the U.S. are unaware that a vintage motorcycle can be found on the curb in any given week and in any given neighborhood here. Yes, it is April 1st. 

I don't know of BSA engine builders in NY or PA or closeby there. There are two comercial shops I would look into outside your immediate area. First is "Morrie's Place" in Richmond, IL.  http://morriesplacecycle.com/services.html Talk to Ed Zender, the Owner. If you have watched Cafe' Racer on Velocity TV you may know of them by the Norton they built for the show. I know Ed by swap meets and having been to the shop. His knowledge and shop are impressive. The second is Wes Scott from Ft. Lauderdale, FL. http://wesscottcycles.com/  Wes rebuilt my wheels and did a great job. In talking to him on the phone, I got nothing other than the impression of someone I would trust with an engine. Of course, you must come to your own conclusions regarding what you think of people, personally or professionally. I suppose there are more out there to trust, but I don't know them first hand. One I definitely would not use is also located in the south. I could provide that name and the reasons why outside the open forum. If you want to know, drop me a personal message.

As to my being in western NY, I might get there frequently if my daughter gets accepted to Ithaca or Syracuse.

Regards,

Richard L.

Offline cpete

• Active
  • Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wish my bike wa.
« Reply #5 on: 19.01. 2012 01:28 »
Thank you Richard, I may check into sending it to IL.
I have seen the show and like it even more now that I have something to work on.
I have been riding for years, but currently have just had a little yamaha sport bike, and used to have a BMW R1100RT that I really loved.

I have always said, a man needs more than one bike and now I will finally be able to live the dream. 
Luckily for me I have a pretty understanding wife that knows it will cost quite a bit over time, and the basement will occassionally smell pretty manly. Until I can get roller and bring it out to the garage - in the summer (hopefully).
There is rust on the wheels in places, so I may be looking at just fully replacing with new ones, and have been curious about tubeless, but dont know enough about what it takes to make these into tubeless.
I will try to look up the wheel builder in the south, to see what he can do.
I have been a giddy little kid once I really learned what I have, and also how available the parts are for this.
Quite a few items that are a bit specific to the SR, but draganfly.com has quite a listing, and I have started with my first 2 purchases from them already.  I will try to post some pics when I get some work accomplished that can be seen. 
Thanks again ahead of time to everyone here for allowing a motorcyclist into the 'vintage motorcyclist club'.
Cant wait.
Chad