Author Topic: Vincent day at the Ace  (Read 2818 times)

Offline england kev

• A's Good Friend
Vincent day at the Ace
« on: 15.05. 2008 17:33 »
I followed up my trip to the lion rally, with a morning ride out to the Ace cafe, for the Vincent and Brit day....

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/p314871400/?slideshow=1

Kevin.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Vincent day at the Ace
« Reply #1 on: 16.05. 2008 00:16 »
Another series of great shots ...the Vincents, the scooters with all the lights... brings a big smile.

Hey, Kevin deserves applause from all here for the work *beer*

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.05. 2008 00:54 »
Yes, applause for the great shots. It's a little overwhelming to see so many fine Vincents in one place. I don't know about auctions in the U.K., but they bring a lot of money over here. Here are some auction results:

http://www.midamericaauctions.com/showauction.asp?Keywords=vincent&ID=104

Kevin managed to queeze in a couple of A10 shots, just to keep it on topic, I suppose. I assume one of them was his, but I can't recall which.

Richard

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 16.05. 2008 20:15 »
A recent auction at the Stafford show in GB, not sure under whose auspices, produced some equally amazing prices for Vincents. If I remember or believe what I was told, top whack was over 50,000 POUNDS for a Black Prince or something. Nice to ride - I am privileged to ride a Series C Rapide quite a lot - but for that money you could have anything you wanted this side of WW2.  Lot of polishing comes with the territory, too  -  not good for All Year Round Persons. Not that I'm jealous, oh no, not me, green's my natural colour!
Bill

Offline england kev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 16.05. 2008 21:13 »

Kevin managed to squeeze in a couple of A10 shots, just to keep it on topic, I suppose. I assume one of them was his, but I can't recall which.

Richard

Actually, did you not notice that one was a tribsa? and I never attended on mine as I have a couple of issues to sort out (carb related) but here is a reminder of my old nail...

Kevin.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 16.05. 2008 21:46 »
Kev,

Yes, I saw the TriBSA (006m.jpg) and the chrome tanked A10 cafe (009m.jpg). There was also another A10 (maybe, 7?) lurking behind another bike in the second to last photo (058m.jpg). I thought that might be yours, but as for the one that actually is, it looks good.

Richard

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 18.05. 2008 18:15 »
Here's another Vincent - a really very good Rapide Series C. Not a very French gathering, although it is in France, I promise. Plus Bonnie (late, US bars, very smart but irreversibly ugly and no fuel capacity at all at all), workaday A10 (mine and dead reliable at the mo) and hidden away at the rear, very workaday and very high mileage indeed AMC twin (also mine). All set for  200 miles of pure pleasure on uncluttered roads Saturday before last. Did another 200 the next day too. Completed with ease. Who won? Not a fair Q. Not even sure if the Rapide got into 4th gear very often, although the Bonnie trickled in 5th easily enough. Nothing broke, nothing faltered, although the tired AMC is in very brief retirement for an overdue regrind and shells. . . . Groily
Bill

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 22.05. 2008 03:20 »
Groily,

You have previously mentioned that you are priveledged to ride a Vincent occasionally. Is this the one? If so, you are a lucky dog. I suspect that most of us, particularly myself, will not have that opportunity before we go the that "great shed in the sky." Right now, I guess I'd be happy if I could just get the A10 back on the road. It's a matter of making time for the pastime.

Speaking of my A10, should I now fear that classic bike literati will find my A10 "irreversably ugly" because I have bars with an 8" rise? I did it for the relaxing ride and no intention of going truly fast.

Richard

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 22.05. 2008 16:12 »
Hi Richard, Yes, that's the one . . . it is a great privilege from time to time and leaves me feeling very humble as its owner possesses technical skills I can only drool over . . .  Bit small for a very large person though! The only bike from the 50s I have ever ridden apart from a hybrid Norton Ariel Square 4 (property of the guy who borrowed my A10 this same weekend while I nursed my dying AJS) which can truly keep up with all modern traffic. Superb.
Sorry about the unreasonable Handlebar Prejudice, no proper basis for it - it's just we spent the whole weekend teasing the Bonnie owner about his ape-like forearms and pea-sized tank (can't get petrol/gas all that easily here on Sundays in rural areas so 2 gallons is TRULY RIDICULOUS!). Takes all sorts though, and somehow we have all remained good friends since the early 70s.
Bill

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 23.05. 2008 21:34 »
My work is taking me to London June 1-4 and I might just be able to get away from it for a pilgramge to the Ace Cafe. Is there anything I should know, like "Closed Mondays" or, "it's going to be so crowded I won't be able to approach the bar for a pint," etc.? Sure, most tourists would go to the British Museum (been there) or the Tower of London (been there) or Westminster Abbey (been there) or ?. Some of you might recall my mentioning that I went down to Leigh-On-Sea to visit Andy at Leigh Classics on my last trip. Anyway, with the posts that have been here lately, it seems the much-closer Ace might satisfy my vintage bike urges.

Richard

Offline england kev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 23.05. 2008 22:21 »
Richard the Ace is worth a trip just for the T-shirt.... http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/default.aspx   also while in the area there is the London Motorcycle Museum....  http://www.motorcycle-uk.com/lmm/beginning.html

Kevin.