Author Topic: Restore or not?  (Read 906 times)

Offline tv175

• Moving Up
Restore or not?
« on: 01.10. 2011 19:30 »
Hi there!

I am 47 years old Finnish and a happy owner of BSA A10 Super Rocket 1961.
I've done all kind of motorcycles from an early age, but this BSA project is the first British bike of mine.
First I thought to restore it but now there has arisen all kind of problems.

In the middle on top frame there is weld piece on tube and it's coated with a thick layer of Plastic Padding.
Also the tanks attachment points are  missing so could someone please give the dimensions?
From frame is also missing fuel tank mounting rubbers and I dont have a model to do new ones.

From swingarm there has been cut the tops off, so I should need dimensions to this also please.
In back there is 16 inch rim with 5-16 ring and it's edge went really close to the chain.
In the rear frame there was welded curved pipes so the A65 seat had been captured.

So I think that it shoud be wiser to forget restoration and make a bike like Cafe Racer.

I'll be grateful of All kind of tips and advices style suitable for mudguards etc.
   cheers Tapani

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: Restore or not?
« Reply #1 on: 02.10. 2011 09:11 »
Hei Tapani,
Where in Finland are you? How much of the bike do you have?
If you are missing a lot of the standard parts mudguards, tank etc. I guess it would make most sense to create what you want out of it.
The swinging arm has presumably been cut to take a non standard rear hub. Are you planning on sourcing a standard A10 rear wheel?
Cheers,
Iain

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 02.10. 2011 19:07 »
Hi Tapani. I would go for restoration as my first choice. Frame repairs are not difficult and BSA service sheet 710x gives the frame dimensions. I have a printed copy of it and have just had a look online and found this site although I know there are others.          http://bsa-a10.hailwood.com/1954abgoldstar.html       All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline tv175

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 03.10. 2011 18:47 »
Hello Iain,
My english is not good enough so my intention was to write that I have had all kind on motorcycles, not that I have restored those, so sorry my mistake.
I live in middle of Finland, near Jyväskylä. I don't know yet what kind of wheel I put, it depends if I restore bike or not.

I have Kawasaki Vulcan (which I ride) and at the moment I have two projects, Honda 72 Dream and this BSA.
Thanks a lot Goldy for the site You linked.
  cheers Tapani