Author Topic: Front wheel spindle not lining up  (Read 795 times)

Offline Signboy

• Moving Up
Front wheel spindle not lining up
« on: 29.12. 2017 20:17 »
Hi Guys,  Full restoration on my '53 A7 plunger star twin revealed my front wheel spindle wont line up properly (half a hole out)   its probably been like this since its last owner restored it back in '87 !  to make it fit i had to undo the RHS top fork nut, undo the fork pinch bold and manually pull the fork leg down a small distance to line up the spindle !...Before i assembled the forks i took several measurements from the head stock to the bench..everything millimeter perfect, however, the only thing that was a bit odd was that one spring was longer than the other by about 1/4", didn't think at the time that this could possibly cause such an offset at the spindle as the bike handled superbly, now everything is back together, it sits perfectly and the wheel spins straight.......so the question is, if i buy new springs, would it fix this anomaly ?
Thanking You in anticipation
Signboy

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Front wheel spindle not lining up
« Reply #1 on: 29.12. 2017 20:45 »
Hi Signboy,
Its more likely that the centre mudguard stay is "off" square as this is bolted across both sliders  *????*
Is the centre stay inside or outside the brake torque stay on the RHS ? this will make a difference
Check that both fork sliders have the centre mounting brackets welded on at identical heights from the spindle
Possibility of odd legs/years / models  *conf2*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Signboy

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 29.12. 2017 21:02 »
i will check tomorrow cheers !

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 30.12. 2017 06:28 »
I'm not sure but could different length bush's give the same condition? Early one side late the other.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 30.12. 2017 13:02 »
Hi mate, I'd try a couple of different things before buying new springs. I'd  swap the springs to opposite sides. Costs you nothing but time, and would show if spring length is the culprit. I'd check that both stanchions are equally seated in the headstock, and one not 1/4 inch lower than the other. For about $5Aud (each) I have bought laser levels. Set them up in your shed then turn the lights out and you will clearly see if both the forks are perpendicular, and the wheel the same.  However I think I'd be suspecting the culprit to be the spring lengths.

Let's know how you get on.

Offline Signboy

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 30.12. 2017 17:01 »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions....a check earlier today reveled the two springs are not only different lengths by 1cm  but have a taper as well   the taper is also different between each spring !.
the bottom RHS bush seams to be wider than the top and is too much of a snug fit so it catches inside the fork bottom tube.
a slight lapping is in order.

another look tomorrow after i get warmed up !

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 31.12. 2017 10:20 »
I may be wrong but I don't see how spring length could cause the problem. The only time the spring length might affect the spindle is if the spring is fully compressed/coilbound. With the front wheel out the length of the forks is determined by the position and depth of the bushes and the length of the stanchion.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Signboy

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 31.12. 2017 14:55 »
FIXED !
i had to lightly lap out the fork bottom tube as there seamed to be a high spot inside ( must have been like this from new ) just where the weld that holds the bracket is.
assembled the whole unit and turned the fork upside down, the stantion slides with ease now...it stuck badly before !

re assembled and the spindle fits perfectly now
thanks to everyone for your help
atb
Signboy

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 01.01. 2018 14:03 »
Great news mate. Makes for a happy new year for you. And it's what this forum exists for.