Author Topic: 61 A10  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
61 A10
« on: 04.06. 2008 17:35 »
Hi again everyone I have solved the clutch problem and have now run the bike for about an hour and actually rode it for 12 miles. This engine has been totally rebuilt with end feed conversion the only parts not renewed are cogs and rocker gear which were all good nothing suspect. While running at slightly fast tick over 1200rpm (not tuned) it appears to be discharging oil from the engine breather about a ½ teaspoon in 20 mins and smoking with pressure from the rocker breather fitted by previous owner. I would appreciate someone telling me it is just everything needs to settle in but I don?t think that?s going to happen the gentleman who built the engine for me is well known and respected in his locality for his work building classic engines and his advice is ride it and see how it goes it should settle down. Maybe I am paranoid but this bike has fought me every inch of the way over 2 yrs and pressure at the top and oil discharge from the breather frighten me. There is no smoke from exhausts and it is very responsive, the oil tanks seems to get very hot which I do not remember from about 35 yrs ago warm yes. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome thanks Chris

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: 61 A10
« Reply #1 on: 05.06. 2008 01:27 »
Hi Chris, it all sounds normal. They will pump some oil out the breather until the engine settles down, in my experience that takes about 1,000 miles. I ended up fitting a small bottle to the breather tube to catch the oil after a discussion on the forum on this very subject. When the engine is run in you can remove the bottle or leave it to catch the odd drop. The best thing is to get some miles on the motor. The bike looks good, put a couple more photos on if you can as we would all like to see more. Good luck, Brian.

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 05.06. 2008 11:28 »
the problem appeared to be the clutch centre which was a triumph
cush which did work fine 2yrs ago it was locking up against the bearings
so it did not matter what the plates were doing it would still drive.
cure i replaced shaft adaptor and clutch centre problem gone until
next time thanks everyone

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 05.06. 2008 15:35 »
now that's what I call a lean dream machine - fantastic! Reminds me of the sort of thing I always wanted when I was young, tried to make on the cheap but couldn't really ride more than 10 miles cos I'm too long (not my fault). These days I'm too wide as well (all my fault!). . . Congrats on a great build!
Bill

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 05.06. 2008 17:36 »
A nice machine you've got there! Splendid, to say the least. And very welcome to the forum, I hope you will enjoy (and add to) the discussions and contents.

ps, we have the "Bikes, Pictures, Stories & more" for bike pictures and presentation.

e.
adm

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 05.06. 2008 17:52 »
it is a polishing job and not as good as it can be but i am still spannering an fettling without much succses chris

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #6 on: 05.06. 2008 21:47 »
I do admire shiny in others, but long ago gave up on my own stuff (or on myself for that matter!). Long as I wake up in the morning - have done so far! - and the bikes start and run OK I am happy. But really, with this super bike of Chris', it's the classic cafe racer look that seduces me. Clip-ons round the wheel spindle, bum in the air, sweptback pipes (however awkward from the maintenance point of view), etc etc - lovely lovely. Evocative of an era. Just a great, great example. Don't know about 'without much success' Chris - reckon it oozes success out of every pore!
Bill

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 05.06. 2008 22:07 »
Couldn't agree more. By the way, is that an original headlamp mount? Regardless, I really like the mechanics and look of it. I had wondered what those two front holes on the bottom tree were for. Thought they might be for the cowling type headlight with the long fork shrouds.

Richard

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 06.06. 2008 22:20 »
a few more pics for those who asked i love showing it off chris

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF