Author Topic: The Long Ride 2011  (Read 1250 times)

Offline gold33

• A's Good Friend
The Long Ride 2011
« on: 02.08. 2011 04:01 »
G'Day all,

I've been busy getting my machine ready for a 2500 mile ride to be done over 8 days in November for the Prostate Cancer fund raiser! *eek*

So far I have rebuilt the top end and checked the bottom for play and had magneto rebuilt.
Rebuilt my back axle and brake, replaced clutch and front brake cable and am well into my engine run in.
Gearbox changes fine, doesn't do anything strange and the clutch seems good (I can even change to neutral at idle) and my front end including brake is all good.
New wiring loom sitting in the shed awaiting fittment (I got sick of chasing shorts and built a new one)

My last remaining item is my carburetor and a filter. I currently run an AMAL 376 that needs some attention. I am looking to fit some sort of tube to the air intake and extend it out to the side of the bike where I can fit an air filter (temporary but will probably stay there for a while if it works)

I am trying to keep the weight down to 125-130kg all up (including me) to avoid strain on the old girl.
I intend on taking spare cables, points, plugs, tyre tube and repair kit, tube of high temp gasket goo, emergency oil and fuel, duct tape and tools... And possibly an airhawk seat cover ;)

Anything I've missed?

Darren
'52 Plunger

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: The Long Ride 2011
« Reply #1 on: 02.08. 2011 08:28 »
G'day Darren,
                  zip ties, compressed air cylinders (you know those tiny little ones), headlight globe wrapped in a stubbie cooler, ice type dencorub, pannadol. Great to hear your getting it sorted.
 Not looking good for me. I still can't reach the bars (ON THE BIKE), or tuck my shirt in for that matter. Must have rattled my head as I get a lot of vertigo, never had that without major drugs before  ;). Bike is now rideable with no front guard. See how I feel in a few weeks, it's only been 4 since the bang.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.08. 2011 08:45 »
Airhawk seat cover is agood idea!

I suggest spare gaskets for inner & outer timing covers, and primary drive covers, and a spare auto advance unit (in case you strip the fibre gear).

Top end gaskets as well (in case you do head gasket).

Re the air cleaner thing; What works for me is to use the original air cleaner, with a K&N element fitted inside; I will provide more detais if necessary.

Then, use a standard 276 carby (can be bought new from Hitchcocks), and the correct A10 rubber connector, which are now available.

Wish I was riding with you!
Richard

Offline gold33

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 03.08. 2011 05:30 »
I see my 25-30kg of gear may have to extend as little *eek*

I was hoping to get away with using liquid gaskets for emergencies but I suppose the real thing doesn't weigh much.
Cable ties... I've used a few of those already on short runs! I like the air cylinders, I imagined using a foot pump
I have seen a high temp tape advertised as being suitable for head gasket, rocker gasket emergency repairs (wrapped around the outside and sticks to itself) anyone used it successfully?

Richard, I need to do something about my carby anyway, returning to the original will give me more room and may reduce the throttle cable tension as the 376 AMAL sits very high on the manifold.
Do you use the oiled foam filter material?
I have a spare fibre gear but no auto advance fitted. Are they still available as a complete unit?

Sorry to hear about your ruined ride Musky! I saw a post that suggested an incident but a quick scan failed to show any details at the time (just did a search on your posts to find it) Which bike? I assumed the Cafe!
Darren
'52 Plunger

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 03.08. 2011 09:51 »
A spare crank, timing side bearing, bigend bearings, a pair of oversize pistons and a few gallons of oil!! Take the japanese bike!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 03.08. 2011 11:04 »
G'day Darren,
                  No it was the old '51 thank heavens, a bit more robust.
 Recon you will need a tow hitch for a trailer if you take all the suggestions. Wilko of little faith  *smile*
 I have a good AA unit you could borrow, or the whole mag for that matter (back to the trailer).
 I took the rear seat off and made a rack out of an old gearsack rack. Worked really well. Borrow that too if I can't go.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline gold33

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 04.08. 2011 06:12 »
 Wilko *eek* All that and no mention of the oil pump!

If I felt the need for major parts I'd be better off getting someone to follow me in a ute with a spare bike on the back.
I'm hoping that running for 2 hours then a 30min to an hour rest on and off through out the day should see her to the end with no major problems.
Darren
'52 Plunger

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #7 on: 04.08. 2011 06:36 »
Darren if the bike is in basically good mechanical condition and the magneto is good then it will do the 2500 miles easily.

Puncture repair kit, a couple of spare cables and the usual tools and you should be ok. If you have a spare AA unit without a gear on it then how about getting a alloy gear and putting on it and take that as a spare.

As for a air cleaner, do you intend to travel on many dirt roads ? If its only bitumen I wouldnt worry about a air cleaner.

Should be a lot of fun.

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #8 on: 04.08. 2011 16:51 »
No dont take the japanese bike. Part of the fun on long journeys to the coast on an old BSA is that while you are relaxing looking at the scenery, you will never be sure, I mean really sure that it will start when its time to go home.. *smile*

Dont forget some mole grips, and a spare regulator if you are still using a mechanical one.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline *nick*

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 07.08. 2011 13:03 »
Darren where is your ride too/from?

I'm down in Melbourne, i'm building a B33 to ride around Australia next year.

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 07.08. 2011 16:31 »
Good Luck on your ride.  I can vouch for the Air Hawk seat cover they are amazing.  I think you have everything else covered.  Sounds like a fun time keep us posted.  Jeff

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 08.08. 2011 00:13 »
If you stop for a smoke every hour and give the nuts and bolts a rest i suppose you should make it. And Darren make sure you give your magdyno a tighten every hour and you should make it too!

Offline gold33

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 08.08. 2011 07:11 »
Thanks Wilko, I was hoping the Airhawk would look after the nuts and bolts *eek*

Nick, the ride runs from Sydney to Nangan (just past Dubbo) then Brokenhill, Loxton in S.A, then back across the border through the Grampians down to the Great Ocean Rd, across on the ferry at Queenscliff then out through Gippsland following the Princes Hwy back up to Sydney via Canberra.

A nice little ride to finish running her in ;)
Darren
'52 Plunger

Offline *nick*

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 08.08. 2011 12:01 »
sounds great, please please take lots of photos so we can live vicariously through you, ha!

if you're interested in long hauls on older motorcycles and don't mind getting your nose into a good book, I highly recommend these titles:

'One Man Caravan' - Robert Edison Fulton Jnr
'Around Australia The Hard Way in 1929' - Jack Bowers
'Jupiters Travels' - Ted Simon

booko.com.au should be able to locate new or used copies for sale, otherwise trove.nla.gov.au/book can search several private and public libraries and collections in Australia, if you find a book you want take the info to your local library and they will be able to get it as an inter-library loan for a small fee (usually $5) which covers postage.

yes i am a librarian :)

-Nick