Author Topic: WTD:manual advance lever, cable assembly?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
WTD:manual advance lever, cable assembly?
« on: 28.11. 2007 00:15 »
so I would love to find the correct long lever assembly for the 1957 spitfire scrambler, but I would be happy just to have any lever and cable that will fit a K2F manual advance mag.  I have found a mag that has the manual setup, but I don't have a cable for it!!

thanks in advance   *doh*
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: WTD:manual advance lever, cable assembly?
« Reply #1 on: 28.11. 2007 01:13 »
You will prefer the long lever, much more practical to use. Have a look here, http://www.a7a10.net/BSA/techpics/speedo_tacho.jpg , the choke is "set aside" (nearly never used anyway) to give way for the loveable vintage watch and pattern watchholder (bought them at the Shepton Mallet (uk) jumble some years ago), after some experiments the timing lever found it's spot, taken care of by thumb and index.
e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline snowbeard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 29.11. 2007 04:03 »
thanks! so is there a lot of spring pressure to overcome, or is there a lot of travel to change the timing?

do you find yourself changing it often in a ride?  I mean, it would explain them creating the auto advance...

just wondering the reason for them using a long lever in the first place!  I have to get the mag yet, so I can't even fiddle with it...
\1981 Suzi GS650

=

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 29.11. 2007 14:10 »
Snowbeard my friend, This what I have fitted to my bike. Combined brake and air lever, and combined clutch and manual advance and retard lever. I got these from Surrey Cycles in England. If you go to this page you can view their range of levers.  http://www.amalcarburettors.co.uk/spares_04.htm  I am not sure weather you will be able to get these parts in the U.S. but as you will see there is a wide choice available.

The claimed advantage of manual advance over auto, was that on "sports" machines it allowed the rider some control over the timing. If the engine under certain conditions started to pink (ping) then you were able back off the timing to curtail the condition. I think that this was a throw back to the days when only low grade gas was available. As leaded petrol became available, and octane ratings rose the need for this facility diminished. In practice I have found that retardation is only really needed for starting purposes. Contemporary road tests in the English motorcycle magazines would refer to retarding the ignition to make for smoother running and greater flexibility in slow moving urban traffic conditions, and better idle characteristics. In practice I do not think that there is in real advantage over auto advance. The critical factor is the accuracy of your ignition timing at full advance.

For those who feel inclined, on either type of magneto, manual or auto, you could always elongated the three holes in the casting to facilitate some adjustment of the timing in the same way that you can with a conventional distributor. It would allow you to compensate for any slight error in the initial setting up, and it would also permit a limited scope for experimentation with out the chore of taking everything apart each time you wanted to try different timing settings. Naturally such adjustment would not be able to cope with settings that are wildly out, but if you want to just tweak it a bit then it would work quite well.

Offline snowbeard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 30.11. 2007 16:20 »
those are pretty cool, I'll have to see about finding them over here.

so even tho I don't have the long lever, I do have an extra choke, so at worst I need to find the cable and spring to operate it. will the cable end fit a choke lever tho?

Sounds like there's not too much on the fly adjustment needed for toodling round town, so I can deal with it being less accessible all the time, at least for now...

so you're speaking of widening the mounting holes on the mag housing?  I don't think I'll go quite that far, but just having an advance will be nice!

thanks!
\1981 Suzi GS650

=

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline snowbeard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 03.12. 2007 19:33 »
sweet, thank you!!  I think by that picture, I have the piece that fits on the cable and advance, but not the nut, spring, boot or cable.  thanks a ton, it's always easier to figure out how to "replace" something when you know what you're shooting for!!!
\1981 Suzi GS650

=

Offline SidSnot

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 18.12. 2011 22:38 »
I may be able to help. Please email me at g.viall@harcourts.co.nz
Cheers
Graham.

Adm edit: FYI, this topic is 4 years old.
1928 Wolf, '61 BSA Spitfire Scrambler, '66 A65H, '69 A56L, '69 T150, '73 X75, '75 T160, '75 Mk3 Commando.