Author Topic: ...under attack. Please read.  (Read 4877 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: ...under attack. Please read.
« Reply #15 on: 29.06. 2009 21:28 »
Thanks for the support !
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 29.06. 2009 22:01 »
your very welcome you deserve it

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 15.08. 2009 14:33 »
And let me explain further. The whole idea about new members restrictions on the full use of the forum is to let people present themselves as 'real' BSA owners trough the first posts. As mentioned earlier, a few months ago 1000's of forums got severely damaged\destroyed\offline by some elusive hack.

But this needed a registration + full permissions to perpetrate. This hole is plugged, but be sure some are working hard at new hacks this very moment, and some are even paying people in third countries to do manual registrations in forums, and pose as valid members. Therefore the need for all these membership startup restrictions in addition to updates to forum software, increased server security and more frequent backups. It's all part of the joys of supervising a forum  ;)

The steps to secure the forum itself could lead to being looked upon as some elite club for the chosen few, which is not the intent at all. I rather hope new members will appreciate that they are coming to a website that do take security seriously.
e
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 15.08. 2009 23:22 »
theres always someone who wants to spoil it for others have they nothing better to do
with there lives i hate them and i wish someone would turn the table on them so they
know how it feels, i must say you do a great job and i thank you very much for all
your hard work

dave

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 13.02. 2011 09:13 »
Lately, lots of attempts have been made to crack forum passwords. 'They' (it's infected pc's) harvest usernames from posts, and then try to login, to be able to post \ get access to memberlists\emails etc.

The password strength needed to accept a registration here during the last few years should be safe enough, but if you registered some long time ago, you may still be using something like 111222 or johndoe, please change it.

And, of course ;) never use the same pw on several different sites.

Thanks
e

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 13.02. 2011 22:49 »
HI Erling and All,
I really appreciate the A forum and thanks for the effort at keeping it on the road
I enjoy participating and hope my contributions are welcome and of help to others

Best wishes to All
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)