Author Topic: Anyone had experience importing a bike from UK to usa?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline oldbikerbill

• Moving Up
  • 1954 Bsa A10 Plunger. Located outside San Diego,
You guys in the UK seem to have more A10's than we see over here and I'm thinking of looking over there and importing one to the US. Any ideas on costs, red tape, etc? 
Bsa A10 Plunger, '72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado,'73 Bmw r75/5

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Lannis imported one.
I don't think he's been on here in a while. You could pm him.
Strange though.I thought due to Britain's "Export or die" policy most of BSA's production at that time went to you guys.

Cheers,
Tombeau

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
I thought it did too, but I dont have figures.

I as surprised that it would be cost effective to import/export with all the shipping / registration / import charges?
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
You are probably more likely to get a well loved really sorted one in the UK.
I'm sure the US is full of broken ones that have been standing for years.

http://www.baxtercycle.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=09806787X11K19K2010J3I04I24JAMQ2063R0&veh=1386605

This works out at just over 4 grand£sterling. Not sure what a similar bike would be in the UK (2g maybe?), but could you import one for under 2g
I notice it says speedometer shows 9959miles. They don't mention that the speedo is incorrect and off a newer bike *smile*

Cheers,
Iain

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
Wow That Baxter bike is pretty steep.  The best thing you can do is join a bsa OC.  get one out of their news letter.  My 2 cents  Jeff

Offline chaz

• A's Good Friend
bsaoc is a good font of information, they have shipped bikes over the world to owners rallies  so someone there should know costs one way. as an idea, I imported a pontiac firebird 10 years ago cost me $800 from jacksonville fla to southampton uk but then I also heard someone paid £800 for an engine from a bike to come this way recently. if someone has a copy of classic bike or classic american I know there were shippers advertised in them
allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Offline db133

• Moving Up
Hi

I have no experiance of importing a bike from UK to USA.

I often want to import from the USA to UK. The last time I looked. I think it was 25%ish on the purchase price all in all. This made it unviable. If this has changed will someone  please let me know ?

Kind regards db (UK)

Offline chaz

• A's Good Friend
after working out all the costs and using the exchange rate as £1 = $1.5  a good rule is the sticker (windscreen ) price in $  is what you will pay in £. works through out the range cheapest to dearest the extra value is VATable. my firebird was stickered at $4400 by the time it was MOT'd and road legal it worked out at £4500.
one way partially around this is to agree a lower price on the bill then pay the rest on credit card, I agreed $2500 billed the rest on card, the import duty and vat was calculated on $2500, you do have to realise that for insurance you can only put it down as the lower figure .
if parts are what you are seeking allways try  and get them sent DHL, Fedex or courier as they send straight to you, if you use USPS they work with Royal Mail, your parcels get delivered to Mount Pleasant Customs office , not only do you get the delivery taxed but the pleasure of the £8 forwarding charge. Ive had the tax returned on proof of a lower price but seemed too much bother to then have to get the £8 refunded!!

allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Offline db133

• Moving Up
after working out all the costs and using the exchange rate as £1 = $1.5  a good rule is the sticker (windscreen ) price in $  is what you will pay in £. works through out the range cheapest to dearest the extra value is VATable. my firebird was stickered at $4400 by the time it was MOT'd and road legal it worked out at £4500.
one way partially around this is to agree a lower price on the bill then pay the rest on credit card, I agreed $2500 billed the rest on card, the import duty and vat was calculated on $2500, you do have to realise that for insurance you can only put it down as the lower figure .
if parts are what you are seeking allways try  and get them sent DHL, Fedex or courier as they send straight to you, if you use USPS they work with Royal Mail, your parcels get delivered to Mount Pleasant Customs office , not only do you get the delivery taxed but the pleasure of the £8 forwarding charge. Ive had the tax returned on proof of a lower price but seemed too much bother to then have to get the £8 refunded!!

Hi

Thanks for the info,

When did you do it ?

Offline chaz

• A's Good Friend
parts go either way every month, the car was around 8years ago, but the exchange rates are about the same now, if you are American and comming to live in the UK for a few years you can bring your vehicles tax free as long as you declare them as going back when you leave, should you sell them while here you are liable to tax and duties.
sending parts to the US means you  have to fill in customs declarations, I would expect to send a bike over you will need a permanent export licence and inform DVLA that the vehicle is being permanently removed from the UK so no one will be liable for road tax or SORN ing.
allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Offline db133

• Moving Up
Saw this in an add : Seller charges sales tax for items shipped to: PA (6%).

What does it mean ?