Author Topic: Just to say hi  (Read 1380 times)

Offline squidlydit

• Active
Just to say hi
« on: 07.07. 2012 09:44 »
Hi all.
New to the group so just a quick intro.
Ex pat now living in SW France, used to run a classic bike repair business back in England so I have a bit of knowledge of how to get out of sticky situations on these old gals and now quite prepared to help where needed.
I have a few wrecks to be resurrected, Triumph 6T, Ajay model 31, etc but my preference has always been A series machines.
So to my current "project", a 1953 A10 which I picked up literally in boxes. Just started sorting through the cardboard and newspapers and so watch this space for  "Has anyone got a ........"
Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope to get acquainted.

Current rides are Barracuda, T120 (72), T100 (Hinckley), Triton.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Just to say hi
« Reply #1 on: 07.07. 2012 10:15 »
Hi and welcome squidlydit

Look forward to seeing those box's transform
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline squidlydit

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 07.07. 2012 11:02 »
Thanks for that Bob. I would put a picture on but a bench full of bits isn't that exciting.  *smile*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.07. 2012 11:17 »
Gidday Squidlydot,
                       I guess you've had a bit of practice, I hope you have most of it?? It must be a plunger then, I've a '52 motor in a later frame, (BA7S 191##) maybe '54?? Am in the process of reassemble.  Good luck with it.

Cheers ,duTch

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline squidlydit

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 07.07. 2012 13:14 »
Hi Dutch.
Tis a plunger indeed and yes I have a bit of experience of these little beauties, seen quite a few "orrible" ones and some superb examples.
Early signs are that I have a gud un. Would you believe a set of cases that don't need any helicoils, oh joy !!!!!
Big ends are at -20 and sweet as a nut, splines look like new and so do the threads, so sludge traps out, a good wash out and let the re-assembly commence.

Keep you posted

Regards Squidlydit

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 07.07. 2012 13:53 »
Squidlydit,

First,  welcome. Great to have a variety of expertise here on the forum. I certainly need it. Your forum name reminds me of some of my online passwords or like some Aussie rhyming slang. Should we use "Squidlydit" for time immemorial.  In my case,  I prefer "Richard" over "Manosound". Enough of that!

We now have at least a few members in France. Groily is up around Normandy and is partners in BrightSpark Magnetos. They make a great part (EasyCap) for replacing bad capacitors,  among other services.  There is another gent in the south whose name escapes me this minute.

Please do share photos of nasty looking parts in boxes,  then,  a bunch along the way as they evole into that gorgeous plunger you have pictured in your head.

Richard L.

Offline squidlydit

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 07.07. 2012 15:35 »
Hi Richard. and all
First time at loading pictures so here goes.
Contents of boxes.......wheels, tank and exhausts are here.........somewhere !!!!!!!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 07.07. 2012 21:18 »
G'day sqidlydit, welcome to the forum.
                                                   That's the true meaning of basket case, with your experience it will be a picnic.
 Richard, sort of like didlysquat = f'all.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline squidlydit

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 07.07. 2012 22:02 »
Hi Muskrat.
You got it in one diddlysquat and squidlydit is one and the same.
It's all to do with your take on your life......either way it's couldn't give a s**t.

Big end shells arrived today so tomorrow it's bottom end together.

1st piece to find missing......or not find, as the case may be...... Brake arm 67-7027.....anybody got one kicking about ??????

Oh and the name is Chris......not squidly........Cheers Richard.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 07.07. 2012 23:06 »
Squidles,
       Now I know why 'Squidlydot' sounded familiar-!
  You just missed out on a 67-7026 on ebay, I was on the hunt for one too, and ended up swapping one locally.  I also found out the early ones don't have an 'Adjuster Lug', as do the post '53 (thanks to Brian- I think), and also it interferes with the exhaust so needs adjusting but you may get lucky!
  As a backup, I found a lever at a swap with no number, but I think it's early A65, that may do the job in an emergency.
 It looks a lot like the A10 S/a ones (42-4347/42-7042&4) they fit~ but don't do the job.
 Also you brought back memories 'bout the cases- I had to repair several chunks of chaincase,so have had to do a lot of improvising, so will never be very original.

Richard I think it's saltbox Alf in S-france?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 08.07. 2012 06:01 »
Chris,

That's a fabulous pile of rust. Wish I had similar.

I should have picked up on the diddlysquat/squidlydit connection.  I recall learning from my long-ago trip to Australia that a "tin lid" is a child (or kid),  and I think that is just the tip of the Aussie slang iceberg.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 08.07. 2012 06:49 »
 Here yago Dick (Richard) http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html never be confused again. Although I think that's a 1960 list. *smile*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline squidlydit

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 08.07. 2012 10:28 »
Hi Dutch and all.
Yes I have just seen the one on Ebay, it didn't sell so i have Emailed the seller to see if he still has it

Thanks for the info re early late differences and the A65 alternative. I will look into that one if I cant get hold of one. I will ring round a few guys on monday who may have one kicking about on the shelf.

If one doesn't turn up I will have a go at making one...."he who hath lathe and welder, knows no boundaries"  *smile*

Cheers for all your comments, seems like a nice bunch.

Chris

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 08.07. 2012 10:51 »
Hi Chris,
           I can take a piccie tomorrow if you need, of the A65 one and post it?
I started to bend one up also, and may still need to use it if the other doesn't work well. Trouble is, the spline/clamp part is testing, as I don't have a lathe>grr!!
 cheers, duTch
Australia