Author Topic: First mechanical breakdown.  (Read 1061 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
First mechanical breakdown.
« on: 27.04. 2010 20:38 »
G'day all
           after 1000 miles on FULLY re-built motor, the cafe had it's first mechanical breakdown. Both RH valves bent ! No not through over-reving or valve bounce, but the ingress of a foreign body.
 I had just helicoiled the RH spark plug hole, as I have done numerous times before, with the head insitu. Did it right with no swarf or tang left behind. Wound motor over till ex valve open and blew out with compressed air. All good.
 The next morning it started first kick. I did notice a faint rattle, but it warmed up and didn't miss. So off I go, 30 mph till I got to the highway (1 mile) then opened her up. 1 mile further she dropped a pot so limped home on one lung. Hmmm no comp on RH side, both valve clearance's 50 thou, head off, yep bent ! How the f, then saw a piece of steel the size of a spark plug screw on cap (the bit you leave on or take off depending on the type of cap) sitting on the piston. OK that's how it happened, how the hell did it get in there ? What is it ?
 Two days later after fitting spare valves and blowing the head off prior to fitting I found the source of the problem. The tip of my air gun was missing !!! Bugga.
 Moral to the story, on completion of work check all tools and sundry items are correct and accounted for like they do in an operation theatre. Now where is my wrist watch ?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: First mechanical breakdown.
« Reply #1 on: 27.04. 2010 20:54 »
So how do you reckon this bent both the valves - just bounced around until it got into the wrong place ,between valve and seat?

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 27.04. 2010 22:49 »
Sorry for what happened, but thanks for sharing a valuable reminder to be careful.
I guess this > *doh* sums up your reaction when finding the cause.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #3 on: 28.04. 2010 00:03 »
Jeeez Muskrat, you would have to be pretty unlucky for this to happen. I suppose it could have been worse.

Just goes to show that no matter how careful you are things still go wrong. Whats that old saying about expect the unexpected.  *problem*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 28.04. 2010 09:30 »
 Yes Bill, sort of bounced around till it got my attention. Shame it didn't go straight out the exhaust un-noticed.
 Thanks a10gf, yes after two days of racking my brain, thinking of a thousand ways a piece of steel that size got in there.
 Brian, must have been all those mirrors I have broken splitting lanes.
I am usually meticulous with engine work. Shows what can happen if you let your guard down.
 About 20 years ago I had a small (1/8") ball fall down the mouth of a car (mum's) carby un-noticed. It worked it's way from one cylinder to the next and next. Didn't hurt any valves but poch marked three pistons before exiting the exhaust.
 Anyway, fired her up today. A little weak on that side due to a small mark in the bore, but cracked the TON no worries. Still having fun sorting these carbs, getting close.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7