Author Topic: Should I be worried ??? chassis nr.  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Should I be worried ??? chassis nr.
« on: 13.10. 2009 19:45 »
I bought a 1959 bike from a work collegue,have stripped it sown,sandblasted it,painted it,only today whilst trying to fit some parts to the front I´ve found out that the chassis no does not match the chassis number in the vechile docs ( oh no,please do´nt tell me its stolen..) So I phoned up swansea twice.the first lady said just scrub out the wrong  number and put the new one in.OK..so easy...but thats not right(that can´t be right,or is the engine no-which is correct-the main Id on a bike ?),so I phoned up again and the second guy said the vechile registation numberplate no was not wanted by the police,and if I was that concerned I should send the docs back to swansea and they would check it out,and if Ok send me new docs.Should I be worried ??The German MOT will deffo check the serial nos.Has anyone ever heard of anything like this,Swansea did´nt seem concerned at all,(I´m taking my motobike test through evening classes as wel as forking out quite a lot of money on the babe),would be very thankfull for any info..a very uneasy potential a10 rider.---I cvan´t believe this guy done 2 mots in UK and they did´nt check the chassis no.
ho ho ho

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
Re: Should I be worried ??? chassis nr.
« Reply #1 on: 13.10. 2009 20:21 »
hi is it just one digit that is wrong when i took mine for mot
the tester noticed the frame numbers didn't match it was just one letter
it said CA7. ....... on the log book which should have been GA7. ......
so i got a letter from D V L A saying to check my frame which i did and it was definitely
GA7. ........ they do make mistakes now and then also with there being paint on frame
it can easily fill the letter stamp up so sometimes you have to scrape the paint off to see
the numbers properly hope this puts your mind at rest mate

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 13.10. 2009 20:32 »
Hi thanks for the reply,both the frame and log books say GA7 and then there completely different numbers.I´m very worried about finishing the bike and then have to give the frame back if its nicked,but the last owner (the guy I bought it off has had it for over 15 years or so),Swansea did´nt seem to care at all,very unintrested.I´m furious at myself for not checking the chassis against the book.What a pain,a large,moneypit,nothing but stress,and to see a an rigid a10 going for 2,800 on Ebay last night has made me more livid.cheers-steve
ho ho ho

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 13.10. 2009 20:44 »
if I was that concerned I should send the docs back to swansea and they would check it out,and if Ok send me new docs
Ain't this the way to go ? If ok, fine, and get updated docs, if not go after the seller. A real pain, I understand your frustration.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 13.10. 2009 20:59 »
Hi,thing is, the chance that the frame is stolen is quite small,what really bugs me,is that I have busted a gut getting this bike to be fit for german MOT.The guy who I bought it off was going to help me,but he´s just has had to find alternative living accomodation and has other worries.I know quite a few people,but alas not the right people to help me.A couple of angels came around yesterday and I was going to give them the clutch/gearbox to open up,and service,untill I recieved a call``what your´re going to give the a BSA gearbox ? how well do you know these guys´´ and so on and so on.If I had the chance,I´d of bought a good BSA from England,paid a bit more,transported it over here,MOT ´d it  and could spend my evenings trainspotting,bird watching,pebble skipping instead of trying to find the damm screws and bolts and bits from the bike in this or that container,.Only joking,its going to be great next summer.
ho ho ho

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 13.10. 2009 21:39 »
you could get another frame at least your engine is ok i wouldn't think your frame is nicked
if it was it would have been a long time ago and you said the police arnt after the bike so
dont worry be happy and the guy before you had it for a long time with no probs so you should be alright

dave

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 14.10. 2009 04:20 »
Hi Steven  
  I would guess the frame was replaced more than 15 years ago.  If the one you have is not stolen than I would not worry about it.  Jeff

Offline zitman

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 15.10. 2009 09:14 »
Hi Steven,

I had a similar problem with a Bantam I am currently restoring.  The frame had a different number to the one on the log book.  Also the original number had been lost and replaced with a Q plate which my insurers did not want to touch.  I contacted a chap called Mike Worthington-Williams and explained the whole situation to him.  I now have a log book with numbers that match the bike and he got my original registration number back as well.

I would certainly send him an email and explain the situation and see hat his response is.  The whole procedure took about 2 weeks and cost me £40.  His email address is: worthycomments at btconnect.com

Hope this helps

Z

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 16.10. 2009 03:23 »
Thank you for the answer,I have sent the paperwork off to Swansea and they will send me back a new logbook hopefully within the next two weeks if the post strike is cancelled,thanks again steve
ho ho ho

Richard

« Reply #9 on: 18.03. 2010 22:50 »
Steve
How did you get on with your V5c?, I have the same problem with a trials machine I bought from a dealer, a past m/x and trials champion and owner of a well know motorcycle business in Stroud, that was owned by two brothers well known for their bikes sometimes using a metise frame, I do not wish to use names, but he is a outright rouge. So buying from some one in England is no different.
Anyway I did a rubbing of the frame and engine numbers and had a dating certificate through from the BSA owners club, I will now get it mot'd on the frame number then send to DVLA for a year related registration.
I will sorn the old V5c as I have now purchased a frame that will eventually match the details in the V5c giving me a 1970 reg with ANY+ two digits and a H suffix which will be transferable.
If I knew anyone in Shrewsbury with a few hours to spare I may even be able to trace the original registration number from the archive office and reclaim it.
Anyway let us know what happened
Richard