Author Topic: Cork Fuel Taps  (Read 1769 times)

davemac

Cork Fuel Taps
« on: 12.01. 2010 06:44 »
Hi Guys,
Just joined the Forum and I've got an A10, engine no. DA10 2058 frame no. EA 1391 I believe it's a 1958 Golden Flash although it's got an aluminium head and RR front end. Anyway  I was interested reading your comments on cork fuel taps. The old girl was in storage for 15 plus years, for various reasons, and about 9 months ago I decided it was time to get it out. I made sure I turned it over every month or so and apart from replacing a lot of the gaskets cause they'd gone hard the only real problem I had was the fuel taps - no fuel in the tank - cork dried out big time. Bought a couple of new ones, ( dear as poison), fitted them in - problem solved. Unfortunately a serious bill came in and I had to pospone rego. for a few months. Now I did leave fuel in the tank thinking it would keep the cork moist. I know what you're goin' to say but I'm still a novice so that's my explaination. Anyway to cut a long story short the cork was buggered again and I wasn't going to buy any more so I went to a wheel bearing company and went through their stock of "O" rings. I found a size that seemed right but three was slightly loose with four too tight. I decided on three per tap and bought 12 to fit both sets for bugger all cash. When I fitted them up it still leaked so three wasn' enough. After some serious patience and manipulating I got four of them on the plungers and into the shafts. Although they were very tight to operate, I needed a pair of plyers initially, I can now pull them out by hand. So far they have worked brilliantly and they cost me next to nothing.   

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Cork Fuel Taps
« Reply #1 on: 12.01. 2010 09:56 »
Sounds like a worthwhile mod provided the o-ring rubber is fuel proof.
Cork is OK (11 years in my bike so far and no leaks) provided you soak them in fuel for a few days before fitting (or some use water )
I bought two plungers complete with corks fitted that I keep in a jar of fuel on a shelf in the shed as a quick fix should the need arise, as with most standby things they have not been needed, strange though the fuel in the jar has never gone bad.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

davemac

« Reply #2 on: 13.01. 2010 04:45 »
Hey Bill,

The guy I got the 'O' rings off assured me that they were oil and fuel resistant so I guess only time will tell, aye.

Davemac

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 13.01. 2010 08:44 »
Hi Dave!

Welcome to the forum!
There are O-rings available that are made from fluororubber. These have a greyish colour, unlike the normal rubber O-rings that are deep black. This fluororubber really is resistant to fuel and mineral oil. If you ever come to take a japanese engine apart, you will very probably find those O-rings. That's why they stay oil-tight through many many years.

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 22.08. 2024 18:09 »
Chose a random petrol tap cork topic for this post. Don’t have time right now to see if it’s redundant.

Couldn’t lose a weekend of riding waiting for petrol tap corks to arrive from a supplier at a shipping cost much more than the corks. Decided to try to make my own from a genuine cork wine stopper. Pictures tell the story. Dry as a bone.

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 22.08. 2024 19:00 »
Yes, I remembered to replace the screw in the tap.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 22.08. 2024 20:19 »
G'day Richard.
Well done mate.
What a shame having to drink a bottle of wine every time a fuel tap leaks, I need 4  *beer*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 22.08. 2024 23:24 »
I bought ten new corks for a fiver off good old Ebay. It took longer to type this than to punch out the spindle, replace the cork and press back together again.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 23.08. 2024 00:58 »
Didn’t have a week to wait for delivery from eBay.

Richard L.

Offline jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #9 on: 23.08. 2024 10:22 »
I have found that corks that have dried out can be rejuvenated with steam, i.e holding over kettle. It worked with my Triumph.  Then I kept the spare in a jam jar with a bit of petrol.
John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 23.08. 2024 17:11 »
You can dunk them in a cup of boiling water for ten seconds too, but in my experience the improvement isn't permanent. I agree with storing the spare in a jar of spirit of some sort, white spirit, paraffin or malt whiskey all work.