Author Topic: oil leak from crankase to chaincase  (Read 1219 times)

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: oil leak from crankase to chaincase
« Reply #30 on: 21.05. 2024 19:05 »
As a quick two penneth, my oil tank used to completely empty into the crankcases within a few days before I fitted my much vaunted on-off tap, which has now solved the problem completely.

I never got any oil in the primary - it just sat in the cases until I drained it off.  I did notice, however, that the crankcase oil level got so high I'm sure it managed to get past the gasket into the dynamo chain chamber as there was oil in there.

My wired bolts in the primary are not tight, nor sealed in, but no oil came through.  I would imagine the crank seal is good, now that Bergs has put it in the right way round (never leaked before though, to be fair).

As has been suggested, I reckon further tests and exploration is necessary, but I'd look at the crank seal most definitely.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline eugenius

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #31 on: 22.05. 2024 10:11 »
Thanks Worthy, so maybe I already did something inappropriate when I substituted old rubber oil feed tubes, which had a on-off tap, with metal oil feed tubes without it! Ciao 
Rome 56 A10

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 22.05. 2024 10:22 »
Thanks Worthy, so maybe I already did something inappropriate when I substituted old rubber oil feed tubes, which had a on-off tap, with metal oil feed tubes without it! Ciao

Not inappropriate mate, but if you were using the on/off tap then it makes sense that the problem didn't occur then.  However, of course, that does probably mean the bike is wet sumping and leaking (maybe past the crank seal) into the primary.  If you have a good memory (like me), and can remember to turn the oil tap ON before you ride, it could work for you.  The alternative is faffing around with the anti-drain ball and spring located in the nether regions of your motor.  This is what I used, it screwed directly onto the feed spigot on the crankcase and the feed pipe screwed directly onto that - 20 min job max.  It does mean that you have to get on your hands and knees to turn it on and off, but it is discreet and is less of a faff than draining the oil out every time.  If you do do this, then make sure you keep your gloves on when turning off after a run *eek* *eek*

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134968355064
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline eugenius

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #33 on: 22.05. 2024 10:27 »
Thanks Worty, I have seen the device you suggest and I guess it can be connected with the metal oil feed tube immediately after the oil tank isn't it?   Eugenio
Rome 56 A10

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 22.05. 2024 11:04 »
Thanks Worty, I have seen the device you suggest and I guess it can be connected with the metal oil feed tube immediately after the oil tank isn't it?   Eugenio

If you mean connecting it AT the oil tank end, rather than the crankcase, you will struggle for space unless you devise an elaborate piece of pipework to accommodate it.  I tried all sorts of permutations, but it was cleaner (and far easier) to connect at the crankcase end.  If you want a failsafe method in terms of remembering to turn it on, there are products out there that connect the tap to the cut out, so you can't start the bike unless the tap is on.  However, you will pay about 5x the price.

For the crankcase end - remove gear lever, speedo drive and return pipe to give yourself space to work.  Remove the feed pipe, screw the tap directly onto the spigot, then the oil pipe directly onto the tap.  Replace return pipe, speedo drive, and gear lever and you're done.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline eugenius

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #35 on: 22.05. 2024 11:48 »
Ok Worty, thanks! I'll buy the device and do like you say. Ciao
Rome 56 A10

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #36 on: 22.05. 2024 13:02 »
For what its worth if you are going with the tap, the ones from the magneto guys with the magneto cut out is a safer bet. I have a really rubbish memory so I fitted that, better a full sump than a dry one *eek*

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 22.05. 2024 13:35 »
For what its worth if you are going with the tap, the ones from the magneto guys with the magneto cut out is a safer bet. I have a really rubbish memory so I fitted that, better a full sump than a dry one *eek*

This is a fair point Eugenius, if you are likely to forget to switch on the oil, then either sort the anti-sump valve or fit the one suggested by BSA500.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline eugenius

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #38 on: 23.05. 2024 13:49 »
Thanks friends, I was used to do the maneuver with the previous on-off rubber tubes so hope to remember. Actually I have already ordered the device (not the one from UK not suitable to be mailed to Italy but one pretty similar from china  *eek*) and waiting its arrival as well as for the timeserts (from UK). We'll see 
Rome 56 A10