Author Topic: Petrol taps.  (Read 897 times)

Offline Fat Dell

• Moving Up
Petrol taps.
« on: 12.11. 2023 01:22 »
Hi everyone.
I found some crap in the bowl of my carb so decided to check the filters on the tank end etc.
Upon inspection they need a clean bit one filter has a hole in it.
I’ve decided to replace and would appreciate confirmation that #16 from the manual and spares catalogue is correct for my 1961 A10 Super rocket (for both sides), as the taps I have at present are different (probably changed by a previous owner however…).
Furthermore, one tap has a shaft going into the tank that the filter feeds over, and the other one only has a filter.
I’d assume they should both have that shaft?.. I’ve attached a pic of my current taps and page 76 from the manual. (I might have to do pics in an additional post) Cheers all.
61 A10 SR

Offline Fat Dell

• Moving Up
Re: Petrol taps.
« Reply #1 on: 12.11. 2023 01:24 »
Continuation - Page 76, number 16
61 A10 SR

Online fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 12.11. 2023 02:26 »
One with the shaft (riser) is the main tap and the other without the shaft is the reserve tap allowing deeper in to the tank level to supply gas. Hope that makes sense.
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC
1948 A7 Long Stroke, a collection of BSA D1/B44/B50/A65 from the 50's thru 70's, Ariels/Nortons/Triumphs and a smattering of Japanese

Offline Fat Dell

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 12.11. 2023 03:21 »
Thanks Frank. Sure does
61 A10 SR

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 12.11. 2023 07:21 »
Normally, A10 taps were the same on both sides. 'Reserve' was achieved by the shape of the petrol tank. If your tank is from the standard model it should have a raised floor on the right hand side (the side where your right knee is). This arrangement causes the right hand side to empty first. So, rider's instructions are to only use the right hand tap, when running, and open the left hand tap if 'reserve' is required. Your tap is a later type, supplied with the optional standpipe for 'main', or without a standpipe for 'reserve'. On the A10, the standpipe is unnecessary for the reasons I describe. However, if you do fit a tap with a standpipe, you must fit it on the right hand side and you will need to go onto 'reserve' much earlier than is desirable. You'll probably end up with about 100 miles worth of reserve!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.11. 2023 10:26 »
If your tank is from the standard model it should have a raised floor on the right hand side (the side where your right knee is). This arrangement causes the right hand side to empty first.
The tank on my Plunger did not have different shapes on the underside. Maybe your description applies to SA models?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.11. 2023 12:48 »
  With a central banjo on the carb, running on both taps levels the fuel in both sides of the tank. When the fuel level is running lower, I run on just the right hand tap. Then when it starts to run dry on that side, the left hand can open the left tap, the right hand balancing the throttle to keep it running as it splutters and falters before the fresh fuel flows.

Closing the right hand tap  now means I have all remaining fuel in the left side, left hand now free to wipe sweating brow and look for gas. My plunger bike has taps without the reserve standpipe, both are simple on/off without filters....these rotted off years ago. A pair of cheap plastic in line filters do that job now and also give visual assurance of the state of the fuel.

Swarfy.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #7 on: 12.11. 2023 12:51 »
The tank on my GF s/a does not have a raised side as GB alludes to, it is the same level both sides.  My arrangement is to have the standpipe main on my left, and the one without on the right (so Right is Reserve - memory aide). *dunno2* 

Just be aware that I encountered an issue with my taps whereby the standpipe allowed fuel to pass through at the base (somehow). *pull hair out*  There was just enough fuel passing through to allow the bike to run.  Unfortunately, this meant that when I needed reserve, the tank was virtually empty and I had max 3 miles of fuel left.  Have run out twice before realising what was happening. *doh* *doh* *doh*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #8 on: 12.11. 2023 17:50 »
You may know this already but I thought I would add this cautionary tale.  One year I decided to empty my (Triumph) tank over winter to leave it coated with oil.  In the spring I put a gallon of petrol in, planning to ride to the nearest petrol station, only to find petrol running over my feet.

So I learnt that the cork seals shrink if they dry out and you loose the seal. I had a real game using steam. Now if I empty a tank I put the corks in a jam jar of petrol.

Don’t let you tap corks try out.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline greeneunos

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 01.02. 2024 15:30 »
Hi , I have the same taps as in your picture  1/4 turn which have started to leak , I have removed the circlip to expose the seal which has gone rock hard and disintegrated on removal , does anyone know where I can get replacement seals and circlips in the UK as I would like to keep the taps which have been on the bike for many years   1960 BSA A7 ss
Thanks Mike

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 01.02. 2024 16:23 »
That's the OIF / 71 on type.  Yours would be pull type originally.  You can get them as a part for the 1971 A65
https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/78837/petrol-tap-14-x-14-lever-type-reserve-with-filter/#83-2801
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline greeneunos

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 01.02. 2024 17:29 »
Hi yes my other A7ss 1960 also was pull type with cork seal that I had to replace when that leaked , I presume that the taps were changed when it was totally restored around 10 years ago . I think I will hunt around for a new seal as that’s all that’s wrong with it . Thanks Mike