Author Topic: Top yoke handlebar mounts  (Read 457 times)

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Top yoke handlebar mounts
« on: 13.11. 2023 21:41 »
I'm making sense of an A10 bitza that seems to have an A65 front end with the TLS.  Its rather nicely fitted and its come with 2 top yokes, one with the bar mounts behind the damper / spindle and one with them in front.  This bike will be a "special" (AKA bitza) so I can fit what works best.  Reasons to prefer bars to the front of the crown or behind please, help me decide.  The rear bar mount yoke is std A10 (I believe), the front mount is a billet ally one that will take the later "P" bar clamps.
It currently has clip-ons which I will not be using, my preference is low or straight bars.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
Re: Top yoke handlebar mounts
« Reply #1 on: 14.11. 2023 07:13 »
If It's going to be a bitza, I don't suppose it matters. Whatever you prefer, really.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 14.11. 2023 08:29 »
Well yes, but I'm still wondering what the reason was to move the bars forward of the fork spindle and what difference it makes.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 14.11. 2023 18:37 »
G'day Rob.
I would prefer behind as I have Bl@@dy Short Arms  ;)
Post some pics of the two.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 16.11. 2023 00:44 »
The dirt track stock bikes raced in the 60's (mainly Bsa and Matchy 500 singles) had the bars moved to the front of the steering head.
I don't know the reason why. All the J.A.P and ESO speedway bikes had this setup.
They used to shorten the forks with a large leather strap around a fork brace and the steering head.
The bike frames were supposed to be stock. The engines were modified and went like the clappers.
They all used rigid frames. My mates stock bike seemed to have shrunk. It was a couple of inches shorter side by side with my old rigid Matchy.
cheers

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 16.11. 2023 08:25 »
This bike is an odd assortment of parts, its come with a chromed BSA top yoke and a billet ally one.  The ally one is fitted and the bike has clip-ons.  I intend to run straight bars  but the billet yoke has no bar mounts.  I'm thinking of drilling it for the A65 "P" clamps and the only place these can go is ahead of the spindle like the OIF A65.  If it all goes pear-shaped I can revert to the BSA yoke.
Slough 59 GF/SR