Author Topic: WTF is going on with my petrol taps  (Read 690 times)

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
WTF is going on with my petrol taps
« on: 29.09. 2023 15:13 »
So, returning from a 80m test run on the GF, I ran onto reserve about 3 miles from home, so thought I'd get back to town and fill up.  Unfortunately, I ran out of fuel a mile away from home, which means (genius as I am) that I got two miles on 'reserve'.  This has happened once before, but I put it down to putting the taps on the wrong side, i.e., thinking the long tube was reserve and the non tube was main (senior moment).  So, ages ago, I swapped them over with the long tube on the left (main) and the non-tube on the right (right = reserve).  So why did I run out of fuel (there was literally a splash in the tank).

My theory is that the long pipe is not sealed properly, so fuel is leaking past it and using all my reserve capacity.  Has anyone else had this issue?  My taps are lever type which I've had on since owning the bike with no problems in regard to leakage.

Apart from that, the bike was excellent.  Curiously, can find neutral from first rather than second since putting the chainwheel and engine sprocket in line.  A little bit of a clunk here and there, but much better overall.  Nothing fell off or packed up.  Started first kick every time, and sounded brilliant.

I suppose I could simply not rely on reserve and fill up every 150m.  With the Kwaka, it's 120m to reserve (which is a bit of a pain), but reserve is about 40m!!!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: WTF is going on with my petrol taps
« Reply #1 on: 29.09. 2023 15:47 »

My theory is that the long pipe is not sealed properly, so fuel is leaking past it and using all my reserve capacity. 

Test it then.

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 29.09. 2023 17:30 »
Cheers TT! I suppose logic dictates that if the reserve is off and main is on, and I drain the tank into a container, it should empty the tank completely. *bright idea*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 29.09. 2023 21:12 »
i will tell you what the fk is going on with your taps ------made in china made in china made in china --------- wrapped up in a package with a union jack flag on it. you do realise Britain doesn't make anything anymore, only a hotter climate in London because of all the hot air spouted by them lot down there in the corruption house!!  and all the glass buildings they have built to transfer their big money overseas and collect data of what we are doing with our money everyday,..[  yes folks keep paying with your card and get your tesco/ co-op whatever club card and you are in their sights , spying on your purchases ]    that have made it into a greenhouse. i have a small handled shovel for fire ash shifting that has been outside most of it's life made in good old blighty out of what was once British steel and another identical one my mate brought me 3 years ago all nice and black painted with a cute handle  from the made in china crap and guess what. my 50 year old one is still good even the handle, the other one has rusted away and the handle is pappy, if i took a 1000 of these crap sht pressed recycled 100 times shovels to a scrap man to weigh in he would laugh at me and tell me to let them dissolve into infinity ...... rant over i went to the pub *beer*

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 29.09. 2023 21:28 »
Reserve can be deceptive.  The fuel splashes and surges around so much that the main supply might continue until the level is some way below the standpipe.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #5 on: 29.09. 2023 21:36 »
worty your not supposed to crank it over until your helmet is touching the floor shifting the fuel over to the wrong side of town *lol*

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 29.09. 2023 22:30 »
worty your not supposed to crank it over until your helmet is touching the floor shifting the fuel over to the wrong side of town *lol*

Bugga, so that's why the fuel keeps coming out the filler cap. :o :o *whistle*

TT, sure, I get that, but 3 miles??

I'll check out the tap, but fill up sooner and not rely on reserve in future. *roll* *roll* *roll*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 29.09. 2023 22:54 »
On swinging arm A10's both taps should be 'reserve' type, i.e. no standpipes. Use the RHS tap first because the petrol tank has a higher shelf on that side. When the RHS runs out, turn the left tap on which should still have about 1/2 gallon in it as that side has a lower base. (I was going to say lower bottom but then everybody would start being silly!)

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 29.09. 2023 23:09 »
On swinging arm A10's both taps should be 'reserve' type, i.e. no standpipes. Use the RHS tap first because the petrol tank has a higher shelf on that side. When the RHS runs out, turn the left tap on which should still have about 1/2 gallon in it as that side has a lower base. (I was going to say lower bottom but then everybody would start being silly!)

Cheers CB, my tank must be a pattern as I don't have the different levels - perhaps that's why a lot of taps are sold in pairs, one with a standpipe and one without??  Sort of creating different levels using the standpipe.  Being one level, and with a dodgy standpipe, probably forms the basis of my issue.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250