Author Topic: Another front brake ID please  (Read 376 times)

Offline SPT

• Active
Another front brake ID please
« on: 09.04. 2023 15:40 »
Trying to work out which TLS front brake I have on my A7? Can anyone help? The bolt that is unscrewed that would house an adjuster and the outer cable - did these come with a slot to make fitting a new cable easier? Any pointers appreciated as I can’t fathom out how to fit a new cable without cutting off a ferrule and then buying more and trying to solder back on? Help!
61 A7SS

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Another front brake ID please
« Reply #1 on: 10.04. 2023 04:01 »
Does it have a thread in it that you could screw an adjuster into? It would have to have a slot for the cable anyway.
On my TLS brakeplate there is a threaded slotted fulcrum on the brakeplate casting that holds the cable adjuster.
Apologies for the wrong orientation, but you can see the cable adjuster screwed into the brakeplate in this pic.
Perhaps a previous owner has repaired / adapted the cable holder on your brakeplate?

Offline SPT

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 10.04. 2023 08:26 »
Hi. No thread through the bolt. An adjusted seems to have just sat in there with a lock nut that allowed it to be adjusted up and down. So maybe a previous solution where you had to feed the inner cable through and then solder a ferrule onto the end? Just seems a lot of work to replace a cable and hardly lends itself to a roadside repair.  A solution as in your photo is what I’m after. I could just tap a thread and cut a slot to enable the cable and adjuster to be fitted?
61 A7SS

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.04. 2023 08:43 »
No reason you couldn't make your arrangement work. Remember that with this brake you have loads of adjustment at the brakeplate levers and rod, so it's probably quite feasible to just have a (handlebar) lever with adjustment for the cable there, which in conjunction with the rod adjustment will provide enough adjustment. You obviously you need to slot that 'bolt / cable stop' to allow the cable inner to slip in, and ensure that your cable ferrule fits. (I assume the drilling is stepped to fit a ferrule?) If not you have another job on yer hands!

I'm interested to get other's impressions as to whether yours is an 'owner's mod' (read bodge!) or whether BSA ever made a brakeplate like that.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.04. 2023 10:29 »
Will a small pear-shaped nipple not go through the hole?