Author Topic: Frame lug damage - what's the best way to repair?  (Read 397 times)

Offline OilySock

• Active
I had to get whip off my '58 A10's head and rocker box to get various helicoils fitted. Ive never ridden the thing but thought I best to check all components as it had visibly been bodged here and there. 

Imagine my delight when I removed the chopperesque forward footrests that were mounted through the front upper frame lugs to find they'd been held on with a length of metric studding. Loose metric studding that had chattered the holes in the frame lugs oval.

I've thought of repairing the damage by making the holes larger and then welding in a sleeve, using the engine cases and front engine brackets as jig for alignment, but is there a better and stronger way of doing it?  What does the panel think?

Cheers Richard
Kent A10 GF

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Frame lug damage - what's the best way to repair?
« Reply #1 on: 05.04. 2023 22:58 »
G'day Richard.
A few pics would help.
Brazing is the best method.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2 on: 07.04. 2023 06:03 »
rill them out carefully and fit bigger studs
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.04. 2023 11:27 »
I had to get whip off my '58 A10's head and rocker box to get various helicoils fitted. Ive never ridden the thing but thought I best to check all components as it had visibly been bodged here and there. 

Imagine my delight when I removed the chopperesque forward footrests that were mounted through the front upper frame lugs to find they'd been held on with a length of metric studding. Loose metric studding that had chattered the holes in the frame lugs oval.

I've thought of repairing the damage by making the holes larger and then welding in a sleeve, using the engine cases and front engine brackets as jig for alignment, but is there a better and stronger way of doing it?  What does the panel think?

Cheers Richard

A bit of a bodge but you could fit strips of (say) tin can (about 010” thickness) to fill the gaps between the bolts and lug, this retains the full strength of the lug, and its not like you will be having to redo this “shimming” very often. If its oval you will have thicker shims on the sides where the clearance is bigger.

You can also drill the parts to take a 10mm bolt, its slightly larger than 3/8” and a common fix on singles.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline OilySock

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 07.04. 2023 21:57 »
Well thanks for all the suggestions guys, I think I'll find someone near me who can braze and see how they'll tackle it.  The cheapskate in me loves the idea of the shims but I think with an A10's vibes it would be asking a lot from shim material :)
I'll grab some photo's next time I can get to that corner of the garage & I'll post an update when I decide what to do.

Cheers
Richard
Kent A10 GF