Author Topic: What are these brake pedals off? And why do they differ?  (Read 315 times)

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
A while back I posted a question about my super rocket brake switch where my brake pedal doesn’t rotate far enough to activate the later switch (under the toolbox, pn lucas 34257): https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=17905.0
I concluded something may be odd about the brake pedal. So I borrowed few (thanks RR!) and have compared them. I’d like to know if someone can ID them and suggest why they differ. Pics below.

I think these are all A10 or similar tho may not be. Only ‘4’ has a semi-readable casting number – I think 42-4028 - which suggests its right for my bike.  The pics below have them all rotated as such so the lugs at the top align. Mine (‘4’ in the pics) is way lower than the others, or said differently, the lug sits much further clockwise when at rest, which I guess that’s why the switch won’t activate when the pedal is pressed. Why is this?

All are splined etc. Pedal 1 has the hole for the spring to the linear switch. The rest have the lug for the later rotating switch.  Pedals 1 and 2 are obviously chromed and could well be the same, just one ('2') a bit bent. Pedals 3 and 4 are shaped differently with '3' looking more beaten up and bent.

So: any thoughts on what they may be from? Why they differ? And what is ‘right’ for a 60 or 61 super rocket?

Thanks!
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
I had a similar problem with mine. I put it down to crash damage. They seem very vulnerable to the bike being dropped on the LHS. Also the metal (wrought cast I think) is strong but mailable. Like mine I see some of yours have scrapes and mine had a dent in the primary chain case cover.

I bought an additional one from eBay to help me get it to the right shape. Even then I had to bugger about taking it off and on bending it slightly to get mine to fit.  I think I need to bend it some more, shame really after I had painted it.  I used a bit of wire to set the brake switch.

It will be interesting to see what the experts say.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm