Author Topic: Grease Nipples  (Read 1088 times)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Grease Nipples
« Reply #15 on: 20.05. 2023 11:13 »
What you need is a fitting for the grease gun with a taper almost to a point with a tiny hole in it. You push this into the nipple, displacing the ball seal and the taper forms a seal. They are commercially obtainable, do your own research, unless someone on here knows of a source.

They do work well - have one on a tiny grease gun that I sometimes use in awkward places.
Best gun fitting I ever had was on the grease gun on a combine harvester. Sadly got lifted from the toolbox when the machine was left in the field overnight. There were over a hundred nipples to grease on that machine - some every four hours - so a good gun was vital.
The fitting in question was like the standard push-on type (as used on nipple-type greasers, as opposed to military-style slide-on) but had a sleeve one pushed forward to lock the pawls onto the nipple as opposed to the spring-activated ones (which can be a bugger to detach under pressure).
Never seen one of those since.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Grease Nipples
« Reply #16 on: 20.05. 2023 20:39 »
Richard L,
Definitely not as easy as zerk but if you want to keep the original push on type nipple the cone is the only type that really works.

Any rivet counter worth his salt would find about 20 non-original things on my bike before he got to the grease nipples, so, opted for convenience and assured lubrication.

Richard L.