Author Topic: Kickstart mods - Goldie Quadrant longer KS lever?  (Read 602 times)

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
I have a feeling this might be opening a can of worms, but do 'we' reckon the kickstart could be improved using a longer kickstart lever, for extra leverage, plus the Goldie KS Quadrant (which moves the kickstart resting position forward) to give a longer rotational stroke.
?

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Kickstart mods - Goldie Quadrant longer KS lever?
« Reply #1 on: 06.06. 2022 14:22 »
When trying to resolve the starting difficulty I had with my 1,000cc vee twin (A series semi-unit gearbox) I cut the kickstart and lengthened it by 3 inches using high tensile rod. Made a significant difference (but sadly still not enough to start the engine). Prior to that my 17 stone wouldn't even turn the engine over.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 06.06. 2022 18:13 »
I did have an A65 kickstarter on my A10, a little longer, kicked over a little easier but obviously does not spin the motor quite as fast. Your foot moves further to get the same engine movement you get with the shorter lever.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.06. 2022 23:02 »
Jools, I don't think that the Goldie type quadrant will help as again I think that the stroke is the same and is governed by the stop.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 07.06. 2022 01:01 »
Both useful input, thanks lads. Yes I hadn't considered the Goldie type quadrant 'stop'. My bike is about 8.75:1, not really that hard to kickover, just that I have a very suss back.
An electric start conversion would be the thing, but it's a bit steep pricewise (I'm sure it's worth it though - looks like a nicely engineered piece o' kit).

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 07.06. 2022 22:50 »
Hi All,
I have the electric starter on my SR for almost a Year now and its great  *smile*
Having it has meant I now am back using the bike a lot more than I had been able to for the last several years
A dodgy knee joint and long recovery time after having the joint replaced kept me off the BSA twin

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 08.06. 2022 00:40 »
That's encouraging John. I think I'll aim for that, but I think there are a few things I need to get up to scratch - like a good, probably new, Carb first. The mag has been reco'd, not sure how good the dynamo is, I fitted a JG 12v reg years ago. To be honest, since I built the bike -over the last 30 years, I've probably only put 50-100 k's on it on local lanes... Been riding japanese classics. Anything I should look out for regarding the conversion? Any 'traps'? Is a belt primary drive conversion mandatory? Worth getting the battery locally to save money on freight cost?
(On the other hand, I think I'd be getting close to half the cost of a brand new Interceptor - that adds a dilemma).

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 09.06. 2022 01:10 »
Hi Jools,
Belt drive? No the chain drive is retained, you need to provide a sprocket to Steve (see my other reply)
The bike needs to be in good order tune wise, and an auto advance is required (in good condition)
I'm running a 12v converted dynamo and a Podtronics reg ( got that 20 years ago from the late Bob Kizer)
It seems to cope well

I looked at a new 650 Enfield closely ,  hard seat, shitty frame welds and rough finish on other parts,
Then it would need a modern bike policy and higher road tax plus another space to house it.
I figured it a better bet to electrify the BSA

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)