Author Topic: Kickstart return spring.  (Read 334 times)

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
Kickstart return spring.
« on: 17.05. 2022 17:08 »
I thought I’d share this in the hope of preventing others’ problems.
Recently my plunger A10 return spring broke. I ordered another from a well known supplier and fitted it. Took a lot of effort to tighten up the gearbox cover which cracked!  On inspection of the old and new springs the old one had a hook to fit the quadrant of about 3/8” long and flattened. The new one was over an inch long and round along it’s length. It prevents the cover seating properly.
Now the cover is repaired (beautiful, invisible job) and a suitably altered spring has been fitted.
Just wanted to warn anyone likely to come across this to make sure the new spring fits properly.
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Kickstart return spring.
« Reply #1 on: 17.05. 2022 17:55 »
I found with my B31 there are several different springs - different no of coils, differing wire thickness - and some as you have described the difference. Goes by model and year - you clearly received the wrong item.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
Re: Kickstart return spring.
« Reply #2 on: 18.05. 2022 21:38 »
That would explain it. The whole spring is identical apart from the  length and shape of the tail that attaches to the quadrant. Wouldn’t be surprised if they sent the wrong one, though I used the correct part no.
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel