Author Topic: P92 prototype  (Read 551 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
P92 prototype
« on: 10.05. 2022 16:55 »
P92 prototype
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
Re: P92 prototype
« Reply #1 on: 10.05. 2022 16:59 »
Front hub looks cool   -------- that's all  !
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 10.05. 2022 18:35 »
http://dogdragons.com/dogdragons/a-2-z/b/bsa/bsa1965-1973/1975isolastic/75isolastic.html
Copied from Access Norton " The experimental P92 was a product of Norton Villiers Triumph’s development facility in Kitt’s Green, Birmingham during the period following the formation of NVT out of BSA, Norton Villiers and Triumph in mid-1973. The aim was to produce a smooth-running single, using existing components. The essentials are a slightly modified BSA 500cc ohv B50 engine, the frame from the abortive 1971 Triumph Bandit and BSA Fury, plus Isolastic anti-vibration engine mounts from the Norton Commando.

Each prototype was slightly different. This machine has a one-into-two exhaust with twin annular silencers, as fitted to NVT’s Commando and Triumph Trident T160. The seat and rear wheel are Norton, the front fork and brake BSA/Triumph, while the front mudguard is a BSA Rocket 3 item. A cross-over mechanism switches the gear change to the left to comply with US regulations.

Sadly, nothing became of the sure-handling 100mph single because NVT fell into receivership during 1975. This version was restored with BSA badging at the request of its former owner. "
At first glance it looked very Notrunish.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.05. 2022 08:44 »
Hmmm, nobody could make a silk purse of that sow's ear of an engine!

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #4 on: 12.05. 2022 11:20 »
CCM made good use of them and continued development. very sought after in classic mx
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 14.05. 2022 09:36 »
The only real problem with that engine is they called it a Gold Star and people expected it to be a high torque powerhouse.
So when they found it a revhead buzz box they got their knickers in a knot.
Naturally a waste of time trying to do trials riding with it but the B44 excells in trials so why bother
Had a friend who was an A grader go for a spin on one of mine comparred to a heavily worked on SR 500 & a similar XT 500.
He bought the b50 and rode it daily 
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 14.05. 2022 11:00 »
Well. I suppose our opinions are based on personal experience (hopefully - not hearsay or Rose tinted rear vision glasses!).

I had a B40 which was a complete pig in every way. Horrible thing, an unmitigated engineering mistake. So unreliable even though it was near new. Terrible starter.
Later I had a Cheney B50MX. This promised everything and delivered very little. It looked pretty cool with it's nickel plated frame and sexy little alloy tank, -and on the rare occasions it went, it was okay, but my Ducati 450R/T just blew it into the weeds.

For years I kept a boxful of worn, broken B40 and B50 kickstart ratchets and quadrants etc. What a heap of rubbish!
The Ducati was brilliant engineering in comparison. Even though it was a 'stretched' 250, it went hard and still lasted reasonably well unless it was slogged at low revs.
We all know that at that stage the BSA factory were cutting corners all over the place, the metallurgy was pathetic. I think the only B50s that hung together were the ones rebuilt by good engineers in sheds, like Cheney and CCM.

The Cheney frame was a gem however, -pity about the B50MX motor it came with. Thank gawd the Japanese came along with well engineered big singles with cams in the right place and balance shafts.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 14.05. 2022 11:13 »
The only real problem with that engine is they called it a Gold Star and people expected it to be a high torque powerhouse.

Did people think a Clubman’s DBD was a high torque powerhouse?

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #8 on: 14.05. 2022 15:20 »
The WD B40 was a different animal from the standard one. Essentially a 441 with a B40 top end. Great machine in every way. The first adventure trail bike. They benefit from fitting a 441 engine sprocket to bring the gearing up a bit for road use.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 21.05. 2022 07:51 »

Did people think a Clubman’s DBD was a high torque powerhouse?
In a word Yes
Expecally comparred to the Japanese offerins which required a tap dance on the gear shift to keep the revs up .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 21.05. 2022 08:46 »
Well. I suppose our opinions are based on personal experience (hopefully - not hearsay or Rose tinted rear vision glasses!).
I had a B40 which was a complete pig in every way. Horrible thing, an unmitigated engineering mistake. So unreliable even though it was near new.

Funny how experiences can differ. I had an early B40 (one of the first 1000 made apparently) complete with the "horrendous" so-called distributor ignition, and the plain bush ("won't make it to 500 miles mate") main bearing and it was boringly reliable.
It was boring all-round really, but reliability was never an issue.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 21.05. 2022 09:11 »
It was boring all-round really, but reliability was never an issue.
Sounds like my Plungie 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash