Author Topic: 650 pre-unit dual carburettor cylinder head, selling, what price ?  (Read 651 times)

Offline octane

• A's Good Friend
  • Copenhagen , DENMARK
Hi folks.
I hope it's ok to ask this here:
I'm selling this dual-port head.
What kind of price should I put on it?
I'm asking because I'm very good at cheating myself when I put up stuff for sale.

Has a couple of repairs, but they're professionally and nicely done
and won't be visible once on the bike.

Thank you !  ( More pics in my post below )

Offline octane

• A's Good Friend
  • Copenhagen , DENMARK
Re: 650 pre-unit dual carburettor cylinder head
« Reply #1 on: 29.11. 2021 10:18 »

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 29.11. 2021 18:51 »
G'day octane.
67-1102 is an A7SS head and looks to have been modified to suit A10 by the edge of the combustion chamber being chamfered. I have one like that on my A10 Cafe.
As for price  *dunno*. If it was offered to me for $400AU I'd take it. The last one I got wasn't anywhere near as good for $150AU.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #3 on: 29.11. 2021 23:56 »
I've got several of these twin port heads (1 ex A7ss modified for an A10rr, one genuine A10rr and one unmolested a7ss) , yours certainly needs new valve seats, a fair bit of recession there and worth fitting hardened seats anyway. These heads were fitted to the 54 & 55 models only as std and had a 2:1 manifold. I'd agree with Muskrat, these are popular for "go fast" look applications on all big fin models as enable twin carbs. The manifolds are very hard to come by. Being a modified A7ss one makes it something only really useful on a cafe racer or for someone who doesnt wear an anorak... Even unoriginal and in need of repair, they are still fairly valuable.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline octane

• A's Good Friend
  • Copenhagen , DENMARK
« Reply #4 on: 30.11. 2021 13:42 »
Thank you ... so what would be a fair price for my cylinder head ?

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #5 on: 30.11. 2021 20:22 »
Thank you ... so what would be a fair price for my cylinder head ?
  *dunno* prices vary between countries along with need. Its not a big market either.  A large engine part from Finland is going to be expensive to ship far. If it was local here and I really wanted one, I'd probably go as far as a max of $700nzd which I think presently seems to be around 400Euro! the catch is the market isnt a typical A10 owner (if such a person exists) but someone building a race or cafe race bike and handy to Finland... Yours also isnt here (and I have what I need) and the next bloke may just want it as a spare so want it for a song.
You're also discounting the value by the cost of freight.
If someone isnt desperate or would also go single port, that head still needs the seats redoing, guides, valves, collets, collars, springs. So will eat a lot of money, potentially a couple of grand NZD if we also want to rectify the radiusing to go back on an early A7SS and that still leaves someone needing an unobtainable 2:1 manifold or more likely fabricating dual manifolds.
These heads represent something largely undocumented in the UK based literature on the model; the twin carb kits to bling up a preunit twin for the american market. Something even an RGS doesnt have as std.
The big question is whether you want it gone or will let it go if someone wants one... its a nice thing that wont lose value and easily worth a couple of hundred euros.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Any chance I can get you to do some measuring for me?  I just posted in Carbs and Intakes on needing measurements for a manifold,  Would be super super duper appreciated?  See the other post on measurements.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.