Author Topic: Endless Loop - Groundhog Day  (Read 790 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Endless Loop - Groundhog Day
« on: 28.02. 2022 14:19 »
I've stumbled on a conundrum within the forum. In the recent post from MikeB regarding arcing brake shoes, he provides a link to a 2013 post by Orabanda describing the process. When I go to that link, it opens to an in-progress reply I was authoring based on a quote Orabanda, but never sent. What I want to do is cancel that reply, but that is not an available choice, only "Post, or, "Preview." So, I posted it and then deleted that post, only to find that using the same link still took me back to the reply in progress. I guess I'm done with it, but it seems odd that you can't cancel the reply without posting it, and, even then, the link still finds the reply in progress.

Richard L.   

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Endless Loop - Groundhog Day
« Reply #1 on: 28.02. 2022 15:36 »
Gosh Richard,
My anticipation builds; waiting with bated breath!
Rickity Dick.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 28.02. 2022 15:49 »
Ok, found the mikeb post. Edited the link causing problems, into a normal link to a forum post.

Edited post:
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=16876.msg144957#msg144957

The old link, a very strange combination, some temporary forum link copied off a browser address bar, in the middle of some quoting\posting activity, then pasted that -2- times within url tags so as to make it an internet address.... very unusual indeed :O)

I do not see anything that special happening again anytime soon, but will look into it to see if there are possible implications.

"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.02. 2022 19:00 »
Richard,

Probably forgot, or didn't need to, complete my reply at the time back in 2013. However, right now, I can thank you (again?) for the great post and explanation. Also, I have a question that occurs to me now that I actually own Ariel hubs, and having re-read your post. You say to push the adjusters out at the fixed end to allow for adjustment. If they are already all the way out when the shoes are turned, doesn't that favor adjusting to a looser fit and may not provide enough adjustment if they need to be tighter? I'm thinking, maybe, midway on the fixed-end adjusters. What do you think? (He asked nine years later.) 

Richard L.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 28.02. 2022 20:35 »
The impression when testing with a test account, anyone logged in and coming across that special link would be presented with a ready-made quote (of a normal, generally available post), ready to be posted in the logged-in member's name (like a template). No sign of anyone else's reply or activity, only the quote itself popping up.

Basically, the forum system did what the link asked it to do. So no security problem or error, but creating the situation you experienced. The old, very particular link had a built-in quote-trap :O)

& thanks for reporting it, increases my knowledge.

For the future, anyone wants to add a link to a forum post, just copy off the browser address bar, no need to add hyperlink url code.

Example https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=16879.msg144969;topicseen#msg144969
And do not copy\paste anything off the browser address bar while in the middle of editing\creating a post :O)

--------

The hyperlink code can be used to make a link look better: Endless Loop - Groundhog Day

The above done like this:
[url=https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=16879.msg144969;topicseen#msg144969]Endless Loop - Groundhog Day[/url]
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.02. 2022 21:19 »

& thanks for reporting it, increases my knowledge.

Thanks for the reply and keeping us informed. I was going to apologise for making more work for you.

Richard L.