Author Topic: flywheel bolt trouble - how to clean thread?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: flywheel bolt trouble - how to clean thread?
« Reply #15 on: 09.08. 2021 16:11 »
PS I'm not familiar enough with this assy. but if the flywheel comes off (albeit with a bit of effort), could the (very precise) clearance hole not quite line up with the threaded hole in the crank, thereby creating the flattened threads ie when you try and screw it in the bolt rubs on the "clearance" hole??
I thought I'd posted my theory but it isn't here.
If the flywheel is a tight fit on the crank, and I think it has to be, the bolt may have been forced in when the flywheel and crank holes were slightly out of line. Sadly, if one bolt is knacked from being out of line, the others may be as well.  *sad2*. I imagine that the bolts should be located, (but not fully tightened yet) in their threads when the flywheel is still hot.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: flywheel bolt trouble - how to clean thread?
« Reply #16 on: 09.08. 2021 17:47 »
Glad I read through the whole post before stupidly repeating what Jules and GB just said. Misalignment between flywheel and crankshaft seems to fit the description. Can you see anything when peeking down the holes? If not, try getting a photo down the various holes with a little light from a flashlight entering from the side. The ability to zoom in when viewing the photos might reveal something.

Richard L.