Author Topic: Help with Frame and chain guard.  (Read 411 times)

Online jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Help with Frame and chain guard.
« on: 01.01. 2021 13:43 »
Happy New Year to all.

Having failed to get fully enclosed chain guard for my 1961 Golden Flash I resorted to buying a chaep(ish) one from India.  Ok with only two predrilled holes, I need to drill some holes but at least I will get the holes to align with swinging arm brackets.  At the front of the chain guard there is two bosses one threaded.  These almost align with the hole in the frame above the swing arm. See photo.

Before I get drilling, so I do not end up with a chain guard that looks like swiss cheese, can anyone tell me what these bosses on the chaingard are for and do they need to align with the holes in the frame.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Help with Fram and chain guard.
« Reply #1 on: 01.01. 2021 13:55 »
Could be the wrong item, could be an early type chainguard for swinging arm with half width hubs. The swinging arm for these had a bracket towards the front. the full width hub type chainguard had 4 fixings like the ones in the photos. This is a pattern one taken off a 1962 A10 some years ago.

Online jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Re: Help with Fram and chain guard.
« Reply #2 on: 01.01. 2021 14:01 »
Many thanks for the reply.  Sounds like I have an earlier one.  The bracket must have been fitted to the swinging arm as obviously it has to be able to move with it and not the frame.

I can easily work around this.  My own fault for 1. not knowing the specific part and 2. buy form India.

Out with my black and decker so I can get it fitted before painting.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm