Author Topic: trim a65 linings / shoes to fit a10 hub?  (Read 421 times)

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
trim a65 linings / shoes to fit a10 hub?
« on: 10.07. 2020 05:10 »
this is possibly a bad idea... (i know some local BSA people think so)...

if i put an a65 tls brake plate in my standard 61 super rocket 8" hub i understand the a65 shoes and linings are much wider and will get attacked by the spoke ends.

how about if I just turn down the inner part of the a65 linings so they are the width of the a10 linings? ie leave the a65 shoes intact, just narrow the linings. would it fit and work? or would the shoes still attack the end of the spokes etc. or cause other problems. I'm assuming the shoes will fit....?

that way I wouldn't have to modify the brake plate tab or the slot in the forks to match each other, nor change the hub/wheel. easy! 
Obviously I'd lose some of the braking performance of the tls but it should still be way better than the sls a10.

your thoughts?

thanks
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: trim a65 linings / shoes to fit a10 hub?
« Reply #1 on: 10.07. 2020 20:59 »
G'day Mike.
Good question. I would assume the brake would want to sit out proud of the drum with the wider shoes. Perhaps machining off equal amounts off the shoes to the same width as the A10 shoes might be better.
I'll wait for other suggestions. Brakes only slow you down!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: trim a65 linings / shoes to fit a10 hub?
« Reply #2 on: 10.07. 2020 21:49 »
Can be done. I once ground down a set of wider bonded shoes to size for the SA’s FW hub because couldn’t find any replacement shoes or linings at the time. Ran the bike like that for more than a year with no issues brakewise except for the fact that the bonded linings where way to hard so braking was only marginally improved.
Put the old shoes back in when I found new correct grade linings for them.
Still got the ground down set as a backup just incase.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium