Author Topic: A10 MANUAL  (Read 548 times)

Offline dave55

• Valued Contributor
A10 MANUAL
« on: 15.11. 2018 21:40 »
Bought an old set of A7/10 series pre swinging arm service sheets off fleabay, it arrived today, Well Chuffed with it.
On opening it seems to have been supplied with a bike from from Shovelbottoms Ltd   Ladypool Road Birmingham .  Anyone remember them ? Also has reg of bike ROJ 571 inside cover, eng and frame numbers and says it had decoke at 19800miles.
Just wondered if anyone on here has the bike?
Cheers Dave.
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 MANUAL
« Reply #1 on: 19.11. 2018 09:31 »
   Dave, Shovelbottoms was certainly familiar to me in the  1960's, but as I was living in North Birmingham,  Aston Auto's in Aston Road   was my nearest source for genuine BSA bits.  Aston Road now lies somewhere under the present Aston Expressway. If they hadn't got the parts, next choice was Copes, in Hagley Road Bearwood.  County Cycles in Broad Street seemed a bit posh, but in fact as this was in the days of maintained retail prices the cost of spares should have been the same.  Vale Onslow's was popular, always a big queue, and Garretts  "We buy Anything" always had a row of bikes parked up for sale. Shovellbottoms was used by me only rarely. Being situated in Sparkbrook it was on the wrong side of the tracks for the average North Birmingham Biker. These days Sparkbrook is a very different place, in more recent times famous for its Balti Restaurants.

Six Ways Garage in Walsall by the old Blue Coat School was another place where you could get almost anything in the way of cables, bearings and non genuine parts, plus real Hepolite pistons and rings. Bit like Aladdin's Cave, everything in the partsman's head, quick service.  All sadly gone now.

In later years when I lived in West Bromwich, Bob Joyner's by the Hen and Chickens were another place for the bits. They were never an official BSA dealer but got the stuff from somewhere.  The partsman was "Pete" who had a gammy leg, and limped slightly, so not employed in the ideal working environment. It was a bit like the Two Ronnies 4 Candles, as you explained what you wanted, out came the greasy dog eared book. You pointed to the part, Pete limped away into the darkness, and after muffled curses concerning the hidden storage arrangements, sometimes emerged with the part you wanted.  Then you ordered your second part, and the process was repeated.

This was in the early 1970's.  BSA was on the verge of closure.  The parts sometimes had a price tag, something like 4/6 (Four shillings and 6 pence)  £1 13/11  (One Pound, Thirteen Shillings Eleven Pence)

Then we had a switch to metric currency,  economic chaos with inflation and the Oil Crisis, plus the introduction of VAT, a national sales tax.

This all culminated in a stand off. The part was priced 2/6, Pete's Boss said he wanted £1, "Plus Yer Vat".  There was no easy way out, and in the time before credit cards and hole in the wall ATM's there was no easy way to get the cash if you had underestimated the total cost and come with a thin wallet.   It would have to wait until next week.  Bob Joyner drove a new Jaguar with a personal number plate.

All these establishments were only open during the week when you were working, which meant that for the average bloke Saturday mornings was the only time available to go and get the bits and meant joining the queue of similarly afflicted fellas.  Then when it was your turn, more often the answer would be "No"  Next please!

That's how it was.. these days it's all so easy and there is more choice than there ever was back in the day.

Anyone remember "The Globe" somewhere at the top of Cape Hill on the Dudley Road....a motorbike shop which was a throwback from the 1920's, lit by gas or a single 40 watt lightbulb, or so it seemed.

Swarfy

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
Re: A10 MANUAL
« Reply #2 on: 26.11. 2018 21:11 »
I lived in Leamington, a bit further south. I do remember Vale Onslow in the Stratford Road but not the others. My local shop was Jack Butler who used to be in Clarendon Avenue in Leamington. Jack had a grumpy parts man a bit like Swarfy's I expect, always had very clean overalls and never smiled at my requests for C11 spares. I would go into the showroom and blush with embarrassment if someone came in. I was frightened to death they would find out I didn't have the money to buy a new bike!

1951 BSA A10 - now returned to Germany
1972 Triumph T100R Daytona
1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS