Author Topic: QD crinkle hub LH locking ring  (Read 533 times)

Offline dsj666

• Moving Up
QD crinkle hub LH locking ring
« on: 12.11. 2018 22:17 »
Am I correct that there are different LH thread locking rings with different internal bores?

Its just that I have a crinkle hub (from a plunger, I thought) but the short stub shaft from the brake drum will not pass through the locking ring to locate onto the bearing inner race.

My assumtion is it is a ring from a swinging arm perhaps?

I'm just tryng to establish what I've got.
(my bike is a plunger)
Cheers
1954 A10 Plunger (in bits)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: QD crinkle hub LH locking ring
« Reply #1 on: 12.11. 2018 23:10 »
This may be entirely wrong, but I have a feeling that both sides have left handed threads but one side has a smaller hole than the other. I seem to remember putting them on the wrong way and having problems. Maybe I'm going mad! Let's see what others have to say.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.11. 2018 09:14 »
My crinkle hub had a damaged lock ring and was replaced with one from a Meriden Triumph.
Fitted perfectly other than the central hole needed enlarging, so maybe your spare is from a Triumph?

Offline dsj666

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 13.11. 2018 09:55 »
Yes both sides are LH thread, and are currently different sized holes in each.

Measuring roughly, the small one is  29 mm (1 1/8"?) dia and the larger "correct" one is 32 mm (1 1/4"?) dia.
See attached pics.....the smaller hole ring looks a bit different (its the cleaner one with a raised outer lip and no bearing fitted)) so is perhaps is triumph or something?

I think the solution will be just to enlarge the smaller hole until the stub shaft will pass through.
1954 A10 Plunger (in bits)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 13.11. 2018 10:23 »

Good to have these anomalies brought out...
 According to parts list '54-'57, Plunger models have the same both side; Part# 67-6076 (Bearing locking ring), and Swing-arm LHS part# is 65-5885 (Hub ballrace retaining ring) ...not to say it's not the same though *dunno*

I think my 'spare' wheel is a S/A one that I can look at in the morning
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia