Author Topic: another swing arm removal question - 61 super rocket  (Read 596 times)

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
so i've read a lot of threads and so far have been able to extract the hollow spindle on my 61 super rocket with the help of a long threaded rod and some pipe to pull it out - it came free with medium force. a drift alone would not move it. but 2 things -

1. on mine there were some large fibre washers on each side of the swing arm - ie between the silent bloc outsides and the frame plates that the spindle goes through... a bodge perhaps?

2. I can't actually remove the swing arm from the frame. it wriggles around between the frame plates (now those washers are out) but I can't get it past the tubular sections of the frame which, being tubular, are wider than the frame plates leaving a narrower space to remove the swing arm. No one appears to mention this as a problem so what may I be doing wrong?

various forum threads mention a threaded rod through the holes above the swingarm spindle holes to force the frame apart a little. but I thought this was to create space to remove the expanding silent blocs - a problem which I don't appear to have.
Engine and gearbox are in frame. rear wheel, shocks, chain-guard etc removed.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Mike
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: another swing arm removal question - 61 super rocket
« Reply #1 on: 08.07. 2018 09:51 »
Just removed mine Did it with gearbox and plates removed and moved swinging arm  forward then twisted it to remove to rear.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 08.07. 2018 13:31 »
 Hi Mike,

My frame was bare, and still had to press frame apart a little. No way was swing arm coming out otherwise.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 08.07. 2018 22:31 »
so i've read a lot of threads and so far have been able to extract the hollow spindle on my 61 super rocket with the help of a long threaded rod and some pipe to pull it out - it came free with medium force. a drift alone would not move it. but 2 things -

1. on mine there were some large fibre washers on each side of the swing arm - ie between the silent bloc outsides and the frame plates that the spindle goes through... a bodge perhaps?

2. I can't actually remove the swing arm from the frame. it wriggles around between the frame plates (now those washers are out) but I can't get it past the tubular sections of the frame which, being tubular, are wider than the frame plates leaving a narrower space to remove the swing arm. No one appears to mention this as a problem so what may I be doing wrong?

various forum threads mention a threaded rod through the holes above the swingarm spindle holes to force the frame apart a little. but I thought this was to create space to remove the expanding silent blocs - a problem which I don't appear to have.
Engine and gearbox are in frame. rear wheel, shocks, chain-guard etc removed.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Mike

The fibre washers sound odd, from your description they are meant to protect the silent blocs from water etc, which is not needed, maybe it has a conversion to metal blocs?

The inner tube of the blocs MUST directly contact the frame plates so it is locked into position when 5he through bolt is done up, as long as the fibre washers don’t interfere with that happening I guess they can do no harm.

Yes you may have to spring the frame to get them out (and in), the need to do this may vary depending on the amount the blocs protrude and your frame etc, should not be by much tho.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 08.07. 2018 22:54 »
thanks for the replies
springing the frame sounds scary - I can imagine threaded rods pushing apart at the plates could bend them. or a jack between the frame members could do worse.
is there much flex in the frame without bending / breaking it... should i be worried?
New Zealand

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 09.07. 2018 01:59 »
thanks for the replies
springing the frame sounds scary - I can imagine threaded rods pushing apart at the plates could bend them. or a jack between the frame members could do worse.
is there much flex in the frame without bending / breaking it... should i be worried?

It’s years since I removed a swing arm, and the gearbox was removed at the time anyway. Maybe the box HAS to be removed to get the swing arm out *dunno*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #6 on: 09.07. 2018 12:50 »
I had to spring the frame of my '59 Super Rocket to remove and replace the swinging arm. It was bare at the time, no engine or gearbox, and I used a small scissor jack to good effect.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 10.07. 2018 10:51 »
Ok to report back (for the next stuck person) - with some more careful wriggling under good light I could get the swing arm out. No frame levering or springing. this was with gearbox and mud-guard still fitted.

But what I found was not pretty -  I'll start a new thread about my next dilemma...

thanks for the help on this one.
New Zealand