Author Topic: a10 plunger clutch unit play  (Read 1031 times)

Offline eggar

• Active
a10 plunger clutch unit play
« on: 02.04. 2022 14:33 »
Hi, i have a 52 a10 golden flash plunger with the clutch unit that has an enclosed cover. my question is how much movement should there be in the unit, i can wobble mine a bit at the cover end although there doesn't seem to be any play at the gearbox end and it runs free and works well, hope you understand what i mean, thanks
1952 a10 golden flash

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: a10 plunger clutch unit play
« Reply #1 on: 02.04. 2022 14:48 »
hope you understand what i mean, thanks
Actually, no!
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.04. 2022 15:46 »
While the pressure plate is lifted (squeeze the handlebar lever), the outer basket and the plates of most old bike clutches are wobbly.  I don’t worry about it.

Maybe that’s not what you’re attempting to describe though.

Offline eggar

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 02.04. 2022 17:02 »
Hi, thanks for replies, i can move the clutch unit even without the clutch lever pressed but it runs, i'll try and download a vid if it's possible on this forum
1952 a10 golden flash

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 02.04. 2022 18:43 »
If the clutch can be 'wobbled' when clutch is engaged, possibly the central nut is loose and the clutch loose on its splines, or maybe the split collar at the rear has come adrift. Or maybe gearbox outer bearing is disintegrating.  Need a better explanation.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.04. 2022 18:54 »
Hi, thanks for replies, i can move the clutch unit even without the clutch lever pressed but it runs, i'll try and download a vid if it's possible on this forum
*welcome*
I upload videos to YouTube and post a link here. 👍

By the way. It's recommended that you go to Introductions and give us your basic details*.

*Those details might include such trivia as bank account number, Sort code and Pin. Names of available daughters etc etc.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 02.04. 2022 21:04 »
G'day eggar.
To add to RD's list is the rollers and or the bearing surfaces they run on. Too much wobble will cause the chain/chainwheel to rub on the screw boss's.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 03.04. 2022 09:22 »
 This wobble in the chainwheel is inherent in the basic design, and all Plunger Clutches have an element of axial movement at the chainwheel periphery. It's all down to the poor lateral support for the chainwheel, together with the need for a running clearance between the clutch basket and centre. Add a bit of wear here and there, it can appear terminal but still continue to perform with no problems. They all do it, even with new parts.

As a matter of urgency if you folks in a similar position have any doubt at all I'd recommend removing the pressure plate and clutch plates, to give access to the centre nut, which should be tight. This nut bears on a  tab washer,  67 3253. The clutch centre should be fractionally proud of the ends of the mainshaft splines, to allow the nut to clamp the clutch centre against the thrust washer behind the chainwheel. The tab washer inner fingers bend towards the gearbox and locate in the small distance between the face of the clutch centre and the end faces of the shaft splines.  Removing the nut and primary chain will then allow the whole clutch to be removed from the gearbox mainshaft for inspection. Then follow RD's suggestion, the thrust washer is supported on a split collar, without it the thrust washer is free to run against the oilseal rivets. This collar was actually missing from my bike when I first bought it!  Look for witness marks where the chain has touched the chaincase interior. A slack chain and a loose clutch can machine away the primary cover screw bosses..to quote Musky.

Plenty on the Forum about the Plunger Clutch and watch the  order of the plates..... the thicker plain plate goes into the basket first.

BSA's other 6 Spring Clutch with the weaker pressed steel centre addresses the issue of wobble by supporting the chainwheel with its friction segments against the rearmost plain plate, which is a robust  and  altogether  heavier example, clamped securely onto the clutch centre adaptor when all is assembled and the centre nut tightened down. This is perhaps the only redeeming feature of this cost cutting and inferior design.

Swarfy

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 03.04. 2022 12:45 »
it runs free and works well

Don’t rush into “fixing” it then.

Offline eggar

• Active
« Reply #9 on: 03.04. 2022 16:18 »
the clutch works great and is just the same even when the clutch is pulled in so i'm not too worried about it but i might just strip it to be sure while i have the cover off, where can i find a schematic diagram of it, thanks all
1952 a10 golden flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.04. 2022 18:32 »
Here is one source of info:
https://www.bsawiki.com
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline eggar

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 03.04. 2022 19:42 »
thanks all, it does sound like the clutch assy does normally have a bit of a wobble but will check it to be sure
1952 a10 golden flash