Author Topic: Introduction to my colourful pst.  (Read 1520 times)

Offline fixit58

• Active
  • Hard done to? People are sleeping in cardboard box
Re: Introduction to my colourful pst.
« Reply #15 on: 02.04. 2018 15:28 »
I am hoping these replies I have made are in the right places. Recently I asked the forum if anyone had any experience in fitting/using a Chinese speedo in place of the unobtainable chrono's. I eventually came up with a working solution in case anyone tries the same mod on their bike (or quad,or buggy or whatever).  see my little drawing attached. This should work on most if using 12 volt conversion and NEGATIVE earth. (I have led's fitted and solid state rectifier).

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: Introduction to my colourful pst.
« Reply #16 on: 02.04. 2018 23:42 »
The dual range Honda is interesting,,That would be great for some big cities and steep hills, Bay Area of Calif, Parts of Portland and Seattle come to mind, The traffic can be brutal and Its taken me up to 4 hours to drive the length of the Seattle area (Renton, Burien, then thru to Tacoma as its ALL one big metropolis) so on a air cooled bike and coupled with some areas with steep hills it would be great to have a low range and high range.
But I never had much love for the DOHC 4s, I had a few (Hate the stock carbs) and I much prefer the SOHC 4s and currently have a 350/4 500/4 and a 750/4
--------------
As to the TRIBSA, I have always found them interesting, And when I was still active as a shop I sold a rolling A65 project without a engine to another shop and he was installing a XS650 in it, and I dont have pictures anymore of it, but I did see it running a few times before he sold it on.
But I used to know a LOT of the local racers (Road, MX and Trials) and some years back a Canadian partnered up with Dick Mann and got AHRMA to do a rules change and next thing you know the next year everyone was building TRIBSAs and I sold a number of frames and motors to racers.

PROTIP:  Racers tend to be very spend thrift, aka Cheap bastards.  I learned that as a business model catering to racing clientele is not a great idea.

I learned later the Canadian Ken B was not the poverty case he pretended and owned his own credit card company, I even donated parts to support his racing activities and was pretty upset later on with him over a few issues.   But he did build a very competitive TRIBSA,, all alloy preunit T100 and initially built it with high comp pistons and extreme cams but the motor was having a lot of DNF results and constant state of repairs,, Kenny detuned it and his lap times improved and he started winning a LOT.  I had the pleasure of meeting Dick Mann several times and watching him race (anyones view of Dick Mann is always from behind, very few people can pass him), He races a Monarch which is a Swedish version of a BSA.

I have the makings of 2 more TRIBSAs here, and several options on Motors (Preunit) and considering perhaps next year a cafe racer or 2, I dont race nor inclined to start up again, But I really like some of the customs people come up with, so while a Unit Triumph, especially a later model is a very reliable motor it would not be my first choice personally but any insights into building yours is appreciated.   (I do have a Cafe racing 1979 T140D 1/2 way built, so do appreciate late Triumph twins)

But just a call out,, I CAN make my own motor and trans plates, but if someone has tracings for combos such as Preunit Triumph and BSA gear box, Triumph Gear box or other combos I would be happy to get them and trade you something of interest.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.