Author Topic: Hi there...  (Read 1079 times)

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
Hi there...
« on: 23.08. 2016 19:30 »
Hi,

I am new here. I have an A10 1962 Super Rocket that has been in the garage for over 40 years, mostly in pieces. I bought it in about 1971 in a terrible state, with an old tatty sidecar attached (since removed and scrapped), running on only one cylinder, and it has never been fully restored. I've been keeping it as a retirement project, and retirement has now arrived, so I am starting to think about what restoring it will involve. That's why I joined the forum.

The engine is in pieces. I think a piston ring must have shattered at some time in the past, and bits of it got stuck in the oil pump, and maybe in other parts of the oil system. I clearly need to clear out the oilways, and I may need a replacement oil pump. I had it rebored (40 years ago) after it seized on my first outing on it, and have oversized pistons. The clutch probably needs attention. I have never had the gearbox apart, and that no doubt needs an overhaul. No doubt when I get started on reassembling everything I will find all sorts of other problems (missing or damaged or worn parts needing replacement etc.).

Any guidance on how to approach this job would of course be most welcome! I am reasonably practical and good with tools, but I've never tried anything quite like this before, so there will be a lot to learn.

Thanks - Rowan

Current bike: 1958 A10 Super Rocket (in bits), purchased in 1967.
Previous bikes: M21

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Hi there...
« Reply #1 on: 23.08. 2016 20:21 »
G'day Rowan,  *welcome*.
You've come to the right place. We're all willing to help get another A7/10 back on the road. As you go along place your questions (there's no such thing as a silly question) in the appropriate section. Use the search as much as possible, nearly all problems have been covered before. A lot of info here http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?board=17.0 
If your starting with the motor I'd clean an inspect all parts and check against a parts list for any missing or damaged parts.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 23.08. 2016 21:00 »
Welcome aboard. Excellent story, just start, and 'soon' it'll all be done. Post any question, + progress reports\pictures.

(and moved to Pictures, Stories & Introductions)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.08. 2016 21:17 »
My thoughts:

First of all, do not dismantle anything unless you are pretty sure you are going to be able to continue in a reasonable period of time. The project is much safer assembled than in bits.

Start collecting containers for parts, meanwhile read any information relating to your machine; you need to understand terms like 'Crankshaft sludge trap'.

Don't rush anything.

Put nuts and bolts back through the item that you've removed so you don't have to remember where they came from.

Ask for help. Luckily you've found THE best forum in the world for these machines. There are some incredibly helpful and knowledgeable people here and some very clever engineers who can make superbikes from old Beezas. I love it here!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 26.08. 2016 11:24 »
Thanks all. I already feel more confident to get started.

I will be back for advice as the project proceeds.

Rowan

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 26.08. 2016 13:09 »
Welcome to the best forum I've seen, of any kind. Good advice for getting started already given. If you don't already have them, I would say start with getting a set of Whitworth sockets and combination wrenches. As mentioned, keeping fasteners with related parts is a huge help.

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 01.11. 2017 13:27 »
By looking at the information on https://www.britbike.com/bsapitstop/dating/1951-60.html I've just discovered that my SR is not 1962 at all, it's 1958. Its frame number is FA7-1388 and its engine number CA10R-6341. I don't suppose this makes much difference to anything, but it's best to know.

Thanks - Rowan

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 02.11. 2017 01:39 »
well, that means its four years older than you thought. across the years there were endless small changes but its still an A10. if you post a few pics then you may get some detailed comments on anything unexpected on a '58 model. its amazing round here what people can pick out of a photo.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 02.11. 2017 13:51 »
'Cept '58 is a cross over year for some components isn't it?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 02.11. 2017 13:56 »
Can you please give more details? What changed? When? How do I know which variant I've got?

Thanks - Rowan

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 02.11. 2017 16:15 »
 Yes, I deal with the 58 thing all the time.

Rowen, its not every part of the bike mostly smaller things, its nothing to scare you away with, just something to always have in mind when your look for parts.

For example, Part A will say it fits 1954-1958, Part B says fits 1958-1962. So which one do you order for your bike?

Its not that big of a deal, you just have to do a little research on here to find the answer.

The members pictures help a lot, ask some questions, and occasionally just say screw it and buy part A and see what happens.

I find on my bike most of the stuff leans toward the earlier side. Maybe a bike built later in 1958 would lean more toward a later model. Its really not that bad.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 02.11. 2017 17:23 »
Sorry - didn't mean to alarm, just thought it worth mentioning. Mine's nominally a '58. I've had it since '79 and I still don't know which bits this might apply to.

Anything you need to ask will get a good answer here - you're in good hands.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 02.11. 2017 17:31 »
OK - I'll stop worrying!

Rowan

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 04.11. 2017 10:55 »
Top tip, don't throw anything away. Look at Dragonfly's website, the parts section will help you identify parts and locations. Good luck, you should enjoy it.