Author Topic: front mud guard stay  (Read 738 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
front mud guard stay
« on: 08.10. 2017 18:04 »
 Doea anyone have a picture of the front mud guard stay for the 58-59 valanced front fender? Its part number 47-6544.

I need a picture of it out of the bike.

I just got a pattern one, and of course it has a few problems. I can make it correct, but I need a picture to go by.

Right now the top loop that is inside the fender seems way too narrow. I can certainly save the legs as they look fine, Im just not sure how the mounting loop should actually be shaped.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: front mud guard stay
« Reply #1 on: 10.10. 2017 22:51 »
 OK,

Would anyone be able to take a picture of this piece up under the fender?

I dont have a camera at the moment but I will try and explain using made up measures, I dont have the real measures.

The front fender inside to inside of the valanced part is 5 inches wide. The mounting loop on the aftermarket finder stay is 3 inches wide.

I have to figure out if this (for some reason) should be narrower, or if I have to do a bit of cutting and welding.

Lee

Online Russ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 11.10. 2017 09:33 »
Lee, Draganfly show front mudguard stay Part # 67-6544 is to suit both my 51 A10 Plunger and 58 to 59 Valanced guard. Just checking, did you make a typo being 47-6544.
If so, I have front brackets  in the shed which I can post photo's and dimensions of, however it will be a few days before I can get to it.
Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #3 on: 11.10. 2017 10:29 »
hmm, very interested in how you go with this Lee because I purchased something similar a few years ago supposedly to suit my fully valenced "56 front guard from Burtons Bike Bits and surprise surprise it doesn't fit, the bridge too narrow, so I'm interested to see how you fix this :) cheers

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 11.10. 2017 20:44 »

Guys,

Thats the crutch of my quandary. I dont know if BSA (for whatever reason) made these just wide enough to clear the tire by the mounting loop, or if the loop was originally meant to run along the entire width of the underside of the fender?

Once I know that, I have a place to start.

Lee

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 11.10. 2017 21:08 »

The front fender inside to inside of the valanced part is 5 inches wide. The mounting loop on the aftermarket finder stay is 3 inches wide.

One inch of space either side looks a bit much to me. Both my plunger and SA have about 3 To 5 mm between stay and fender valances.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.10. 2017 02:00 »
hmm, very interested in how you go with this Lee because I purchased something similar a few years ago supposedly to suit my fully valenced "56 front guard from Burtons Bike Bits and surprise surprise it doesn't fit, the bridge too narrow, so I'm interested to see how you fix this :) cheers

Bending the DOM tubing is not going to be fun, I know this from past experience using the stuff.

I still dont know how far off it really is, but if I have to weld up a form to help shape it in I will post some pictures.

I have found I can still take pictures with my cell phone if I flip it around and try to do what the kids call a selfie. I just cannot see what I am taking a picture of and its hit or miss.

Lee

Online Russ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 16.10. 2017 06:09 »
Lee, have attached photo of mudguard bracket 67-6544 with measurements as best I can get. My bracket is an original and shows this with a few dings and scratches and also has a slight bend at the top on one side which I have not attended too as yet. You will see the overall width of the bracket is 125mm at the top with the inside width of my mudguard being 130 mm both at the top and bottom.Distance between the holes at the top is 62mm. Overall length from the top to bottom of leg is 350mm. Inside of the top to centre of hole in bottom of the leg is 335mm.
These measurements were taken with a metric tape and I bent the legs into parallel as best I could.
Hope this helps.
Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia