Author Topic: Lyta tanks, and UK visit.  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Lyta tanks, and UK visit.
« on: 24.07. 2017 23:35 »
I dug up an old topic in the ebay finds page on Lyta tanks.  I have some unique materials you *Edited* "esteemed colleagues of the highest order" might find of interest about my friend who visited and shipped back the US a bunch of tanks as well as his story.  I am still after him to purchase the last tank although I have access to repops, I think the history of his makes it very valuable as well as the friend-connection.
Heres a couple photos. I will share the whole story if these is interest. But there are conditions.
First is credit must go to my friend Dave Hansen. Langlitz leathers and Oregon MC.
Second is NW Vintage Car & Motorcycle museum, Brooks Oregon and we want to thank Dave & family for their generous support and donations.

If you guys want the rest of the story, and more pictures PM me.  (I would like to see the materials shared with club newsletters and direct readers to our museum, Hint*hint*wink, wink, nod, nod)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Re: Lyta tanks, and UK visit.
« Reply #1 on: 24.07. 2017 23:53 »
Again, any copying or reuse MUST be credited to Dave Hansen, Langlitz leathers
and NW Vintage car & motorcycle museum Oregon.
See: http://www.nwcarandcycle.com/

Here is a couple pix of the last tank Dave had from the ones he shipped to the US. I took these in Daves basement at their old house in Portland. These are the first that tank has seen the light of day since 1981.

Last picture is Dave & his wife many years ago on their wedding day.(Vincent and sidecar)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 25.07. 2017 08:49 »
Like the Corsair in the first pic. I ran a Busmar on the side of a T3 for a while when the young folks were younger.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 25.07. 2017 22:13 »
Tossers???

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 25.07. 2017 22:29 »
 *eek*
Probably not the best term of endearment or joke as so many meanings.  I have a number of friends who use that term a lot,

There was a vote narrowly defeated for a British bike club locally (another brand, not BSA) and some supported calling it the   "XXXXXX  Norton wankers club" Because many of the members would rather sit around talking about things than go riding, racing or building bikes.

Tosser: while the word wanker is a more general and term for expressing disdain for somebody, the word tosser describes a person with a tendency to show off or brag in an excessive and embarrassing way.
--------------------
Literally, one who masturbates. Common usage typically refers to anyone of whom you have a low opinion.
-------------------
tosser has nothing to do with mastubation but comes from an old sailing term for a drunken idiot - 'he's a toss pot' - ie someone who drinks a lot is a tosser or toss pot.
------------------
And many more, Probably needs to be removed. Apologies to anyone offended.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 26.07. 2017 09:58 »
"the word tosser describes a person with a tendency to show off"
Tongue in cheek with a little envy maybe.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 26.07. 2017 11:27 »
Sorry, Off topic.
Like the Corsair in the first pic.
I was a motor mechanic in the days of the lovely Ford Corsair; had a great V4 engine. The same engine was used in the first Ford Transit van. We had one of those vans at the Firestones Tyre and Auto centre that I worked at; it really shifted! Saab also used that engine for a while, I guess after they gave up two-strokers.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 26.07. 2017 21:18 »
More off topic, I have some Kiwi friends and Simon has some interesting variants of some of the Ford offerings we dont see in the US. Esky & utes, 
You can check out Simons and his friends projects at this site. (Cool stuff, He came to visit here
and wore him out, Drinking, guns, strip clubs, and motorsports-not in that order though)
See: http://www.retrotech.co.nz/

When I lived in Europe It was fascinating to me to see so many variations of vehicles I had never seen before, or not typical in the US. 
I travelled all over but spent a wee bit of time in the UK. 
Upper Heyford, and Lakenheath.
(What does LIBYA stand for?  Lakenheath Is Bombing Your Ass,Been there, did that)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.07. 2017 23:00 »
We used to live fairly near Lakenheath and Mildenhall US airbases. We would often see a pair of A10's come swooping over, quite low. Once or twice I saw the Blackbird fly over; awesome is an appropriate word for that beastie!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 26.07. 2017 23:32 »
I am famous for my rambling tangents  *sarcastic* but since you indulged,,,,,

I was a 43151 which is tactical acft maint tech, but I spent most of my extended (At the govts convenience) time in the AF working maint operations.  I also did a UN peace keeping mission in the middle east.  I was not keen on the F-111s and F-4s and wanted to be on a more modern platform.  While working all over Europe and the med I did move into F15s & F16s but my dear dear wish was to move onto A10s which in my opinion IS the best platform of its type bar none.
The AF senior leadership has been trying to get rid of the A10s since the 1980s. Stupid!

Ironically, I have had multiple job offers over the last year working on the A10s and rotating between Arizona and "Advanced deployment locations".  (Civilian contractor gigs) they were very interested in my language skills, (Turkish, German and a little Arabic and Persian) so read that into it what you will.   I also have been asked multiple times if I would consider travel over seas and state dept jobs as well by some recruiters.  I though this was interesting as I am a disabled veteran with some issues.  When I mentioned I am a pretty damaged unit they told me "No problem, its kind of a job requirement"   If the circumstances were different I would happily jump on the A10 band wagon again.  (plus the money is good)

One  of my old mentors and family friend was a crypto guy who worked on SR71s and U2s, I went to visit him in Okinawa.  I will never forget the night sitting on the beach drinking beer near the end of the runway at Kadeena and watching the SR71s take off and land.  Incredible aircraft.  The tech on them is unbelievable.  Still is.  I spent a lot of time in Turkey and worked in the same hanger as the old U2 missions were flown out of including Francis Gary Powers last mission.  That hanger was specially modified and the plane would be towed inside and a boom came out for the aircrews. It was also setup to foil the Russians satellites.   I knew some people who drank with Powers at the O club back in the day and just met a Retired pilot who knew him well and had strong opinions on his death.  (Powers died in an ALLEGED chopper accident).  We had a lot of mutual experiences and stories.

I got my interests in British bikes from my time in the military in the 1980s.  I expect to visit the UK again in 2018 and will be the first time I have been there since my time there last was 1990.  A lot has changed. 

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 27.07. 2017 06:59 »
Here is some more pictures, Literally a "Cottage industry" workshop.  I have a friend in India who manufactures a number of parts including alloy body work, Nice stuff.  After some abuse on another forum I told him he was wasting his time dealing with that brand.  Small limited market, grouchy and irrational owners and from a business perspective does not pan out.  He instead does quite well making custom parts for HD sportsters (very popular for cafe bikes) as well as modern Triumphs, Hondas and other asian bikes.
Many said some nasty things about dirty shop and exploiting children.  But if you look at this shop, many people would be surprised at its humble origins.  I enjoy and cheer on small shops and craftsman who turn out really amazing work like this.
If it was easy, everyone would do it!