Author Topic: foot rest and hanger spline "off side " (UK)  (Read 640 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
foot rest and hanger spline "off side " (UK)
« on: 09.10. 2012 14:19 »
re my earlier post need a footrest and spline for my '59 A10 ,timing side anyone got one ? BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: foot rest and hanger spline "off side " (UK)
« Reply #1 on: 02.01. 2017 02:09 »
This topic seems to fit what I want to say.

Working on my A7 barn find, the nearside footrest bracket (yes, that's what the parts book calls them, but "left" would be more appropriate for the US) was bent and the splines damaged. I've managed to.staighten the plain-tube portion by heating to red hot and using a pipe wrench for leverage. I've dressed the splines with my finest Dremel cutoff wheel and a jeweler's file. I think they came out decent and the footrest is definately an easier fit. Not sure if that is due to easing the way for the splines, or because of further reducing the diameter. Neverthelesss the fit is better. I've attached the before and after photos. I still need to heat and straighten the splined portion of the tube and I hope to size the diameter while the end is red hot.

The downside is that I'm doing the heating with not-cheap, hobby-size MAPP gas and oxygen bottles and a lot of money in gas is going into the project.

RichardL.

P.S. I'm under no illusion that this is fascinating.