Author Topic: Pretty Cool A7 ..  (Read 996 times)

Offline Andyhosie

• A's Good Friend
    • www.bsarocketman.com
Pretty Cool A7 ..
« on: 03.12. 2016 06:06 »
Just sorting out a pretty cool A7
Cheers,
Andy
58 A10 Special
54 Super Flash
Always Looking for A10/A7 Parts

bsarocketman.com

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Pretty Cool A7 ..
« Reply #1 on: 03.12. 2016 09:17 »
G'day Andy.
And that's how they got the name Bloody Sore idiot  *good3*.
Are you going to race her?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #2 on: 05.12. 2016 04:57 »
Andy,
 a genuine daytona bike in Oz? Is that the one Mike Reilly had in bits.
Either way very cool.
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 05.12. 2016 14:52 »
Very nice! Will you be adding lights for road riding?

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.12. 2016 20:51 »
There's a neat little (and very simple) brake mod evident on your's and the factory bikes to the brakes many people don't notice; the front brake linkage is reversed to pull in front of the legs which increases the lift provided to the leading shoe (the standard set up lifts the trailing shoe more) giving the brakes more bite.
The cam being symmetrical, a given amount of lift to the inner edge of the leading shoe is greater than the same amount of lift applied to the outer edge of the trailing shoe.  ;)
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 05.12. 2016 20:55 »
Very nice! Will you be adding lights for road riding?

sacrilege   *eek* in noo ziland for such bikes we could apply for a lighting exemption and register without lights  *wink2*
You want to ride a bike like that in day light so people can see it and dribble  *dribble*
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 05.12. 2016 22:10 »

There's a neat little (and very simple) brake mod evident on your's and the factory bikes to the brakes many people don't notice; the front brake linkage is reversed to pull in front of the legs which increases the lift provided to the leading shoe (the standard set up lifts the trailing shoe more) giving the brakes more bite.
The cam being symmetrical, a given amount of lift to the inner edge of the leading shoe is greater than the same amount of lift applied to the outer edge of the trailing shoe.  ;)

I applied that logic to the rear brake on my Plunger like on the Rigid A's. I don't recall if it made a difference other than adversely changing the dynamics of the rod through to the pedal, as the frame/axle went down/up over bumps, causing the pedal to pulsate *eek*. The Rigids obviously don't have that issue.
 Was a bitch to set up, as I had to bend the rod around the spring *bash*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 06.12. 2016 13:44 »
Well spotted RR,  *wink2*  then you need good eyes when you're piloting an outfit at speed ,is there any improvement by doing this ??  *dribble*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 06.12. 2016 23:18 »
Not wishing to get off topic from Andy's new baby, I run a double sided 8" with this set up and it can outbrake disk braked rigs.
You still need decent shoes etc. But I've felt no inclination to TLS each plate.

The rigid goldie frame Andy has is much lighter than the swing arm frame, so would be quick; for the road the lack of springing in the seat would be a shocker, but for racing a la jockey style  weight on the pegs over bumps it would be bearable. This would definitely a bike on which to wear a kidney belt as it would trash kidneys and its no fun pissing blood  *sad2* after a good ride.

I'm not sure what the Ozzies are allowed to do but here we could run it sans lighting and I'd be fitting a sprung saddle to reduce the health damage  ;) if ridden far
New Zealand

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 07.12. 2016 02:02 »
also continuing off-topic, but: Topdad -
,is there any improvement by doing this
I did that mod to my 8" B33 plunger front brake  -it involves rotating the drum and making a new stay for the wheel. apparently works racers did this in the 50s. Matchies had the cable and drum on the left side so didn't have to do this mod (think geometry).
to answer your question it helped a bit, not heaps. not sure if I'd bother again. also it is not so easy to do on later models (like my A10) where the key and slot on the forks stop rotation.

Dutch - I though rear brakes didn't need this mod as they actually operated by pushing the leading shoe further (than the trailing shoe)?

And on-topic - that's a lovely A7.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Andyhosie

• A's Good Friend
    • www.bsarocketman.com
« Reply #10 on: 07.12. 2016 06:29 »
Thanks Everyone for checking out the DAYTONA.
Firstly I have to say that this is not my bike, I posted it for a friend who shall remain name-less.
I'm sure there are a few of you guys that know him but I'm sure you'll figure it out when he gets it running.
So yes it's an original Daytona. Yes it is from Mike. Yes there are many parts that have had to be manufactured, luckily the owner: we'll call him  "Bob" is fantastic at working metal and has made most of the missing parts with the help of some very knowledgeable people.
The plan is to ride it, not race but perhaps a few laps of Broadford will be on the cards.
May also be looking at fitting lighting to it for club reg. and yeah how bloody good will the straight out megaphones sound going down the road
I'm quite sure that when "Bob" gets this beast finished this will be one of the BEST remaining DAYTONA's (Seeing there were only 5 made)
I'm also sure that if you have a VERY deep pocket you may be able to persuade "Bob" to sell it.  ;)
As for my new project, I have an original Swingarm Super Flash 1 of only 19. Restoration is in progress, trying to get it done for the All British Rally in April, but it's looking more like the national rally in NSW (October)
I'll get some pics up when I can
Cheers,
Andy

Cheers,
Andy
58 A10 Special
54 Super Flash
Always Looking for A10/A7 Parts

bsarocketman.com

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 07.12. 2016 13:02 »

Dutch - I though rear brakes didn't need this mod as they actually operated by pushing the leading shoe further (than the trailing shoe)?

Dunno mike- I just thought there may be a reason why the rigids (Longstroke if not all) did it,and my way of seeing it, the Plunger A's(all QD set ups actually, including '54/5 S/A) with the L/H brake Drum, but other S/A models have the brake drum on the RHS, so what you say would then apply. (well that's the way I see it *dunno*, but hadn't though that much about it until now- so had to make it up as I went *eek*)
  Also I think some of the Unit construction Integrated Chainwheel/Sprocket A's had the rod connection on top too ( arm pointing up).
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia