Author Topic: New Member  (Read 521 times)

Offline Scott and Jay

• A's Good Friend
« on: 25.03. 2016 01:54 »
Hi Everyone,

I have been encouraged to open up and reveal myself - due to the efforts of my good friend and mentor, KiwiGF. Responses to his thread, "Breather Timing" - suggested I join up and handle my own dialogue. KiwiGF had been conducting this topic all on my behalf. Replies have been very helpful. One of the amusing ones suggested I was "an imaginary friend" - so KiwiGF sent this link:- http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bikes/77816816/fatherson-bond-over-vintage-bsa-motorcycles
This newspaper article about us made me think I should call myself "Scott and Jay". The story tells of a father-and-son "team" and it's still like that.
 The '58 Golden Flash is still treated as "my bike" and the Bantam "Jay's". We ride each other's however, if we just ask the "owner" first. KiwiGF is the "friend" in the article who said "humour me and swop the spark plug leads round". I have been "stalking" the forum for 9 years. I bought my A10 in 1976, but with relationship, marriage and eventually kids, it sat - partly re-assembled (in different homes), for 31 years. As soon as I contacted the BSA Owners club in 2007, here in Wellington NZ - they were round in my front yard, admiring the (basket case) "shed find in my own shed".
Anyway, my A10 claims the "bitsa" space. There is too much, visibly, non-original - alloy guards, tls front brake, stainless headers that are straighter (local maker doesn't have a pipe bender - to concentrate on restoring to concourse. It's what an "amateur" can look to get on the road and ride. We have done everything ourselves that doesn't need engineering expertise and equipment, including painting. The complete rebuild, however, has still retained anything serviceable. I kept the 8.5-1 comp pistons that were in it, at 60-thou oversize, and the original con-rods (just polished and shot-peened).
I have a big dossier of material gleaned from this forum. Orabanda poured my white-metal timing-side bush. I hope to contribute occasionally in future, more from my lessons than from expertise...

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 25.03. 2016 06:29 »

Hiya Cuz- ScoJay- I'll have to claim some responsibility
I was "an imaginary friend"
, welcome along. *welcome*

I'm well ok with non-original, although mine's ended up more 'original' than intended...but you'd never know; most question asked is " when am I going to restore it? " *eek*..... *bash*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 25.03. 2016 09:54 »
Hya! *wave*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 25.03. 2016 12:51 »
Thanks for the fine intro, welcome aboard.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 26.03. 2016 03:02 »
Nice intro! Really enjoyed the attached article. The bikes look great.