Author Topic: I have been shamed into an introduction....  (Read 609 times)

Offline Rich B

• Active
I have been shamed into an introduction....
« on: 04.12. 2015 02:24 »
I have looked at this forum off and on for a while. Finally decided to join recently. But as usual, just didn't bother to introduce myself....no good reason, just didn't. But recently, I answered another members question, and sort of getting t shamed into doing a formal intro but Richard L. So, now I will bore you to tears introducing myself....blame Richard L  *smile*

Live in Ohio, USA near a small town that has 2 pubs, 2 churches, one gas (petrol) station and a static population. Every time a baby is born, another man moves outta town...strange. But we have some awesome twisty toads to ride and explore.

I first became aware of BSA's during my misspent youth. A neighbor had a Spitfire Hornet and a Bultaco Pursang. That Hornet was just the most fire breathing, awesome thing on 2 wheels to an impressionable teenager. The Pursang was the first REAL motorcycle I ever rode (huge step up from a Cushman scooter)The Hornet still exists, know where it is resting. I own that very same Bultaco Pursang!

I bought my first A65 in 1974. I have owned at least one BSA ever since. Worked for the local BSA dealer part time in the 70's/early 80's and learned a lot about BSA's and Tr&$mph's from a couple of people who knew the bikes.

Now owning BSA's (and Bultaco's) has become more like hoarding. B44, B50, A10 (project), A65LC, A65 Lightning (owned since 1979), a Gold Star, and an M33 as complete bikes, plus a Hornet in pieces. And probably enough bits to build a couple of more.....then the Bultaco's....an Astro, 2 M68 Pursangs, an Alpina, and the crown jewel, 1 of 5 Champion framed M106 Astro's known to exist. The year of the frame is key on this one! The better known "Checkerboard"Astro's were developed from this specific combination.

I have a modern appliance. It is a Brit bike as well. Hinckley really do build some nice rides. The 800 cc Tigers are brilliant bikes. Awesome motor and trans.

But strangely, A10's were never on the radar until about 10 years ago. Got to ride one and was impressed. Bought a complete but tired 59 Golden Flash....one of these days, I really will work on it...honest. But right now, the Gold Star has become my favorite vintage ride. Great BSA handling, brilliant motor.

So Richard, did I bore you with my intro?

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: I have been shamed into an introduction....
« Reply #1 on: 04.12. 2015 09:03 »
Wow! Rich! -you have some pretty nice machinery, (but we won't mention the 'T' word eh) -Welcome to the fold.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.12. 2015 09:06 »
 Hiya Rich, I guess at least one of your bikes will have at least a token (not tokin') patch of 'Ohio Silver', and how far is Toronto... *????*

aaah... *welcome* , but once you get the A10 working properly, you'll ditch the rest *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rich B

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 04.12. 2015 10:14 »
Which Toronto? The important one where the OVBSAOC rallies are held? Or the small town in Canada?  *smile*

75 miles from my house to Toronto, OH for the BSA rallies.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.12. 2015 10:44 »

Kamesabi and Toronto... *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.12. 2015 11:19 »
Hiyo.. Silverrrrr

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.12. 2015 12:24 »
Rich,

I like to think it was friendly prodding that eeked out your intro and I'm glad of it. Your collection is way too interesting to be completely in the background.

A Google Earth view of Stoney Creek pretty much says it all for it being a small town. If you parked your bikes outside and waved during the next photo update it would be no trouble finding you in the picture.

I've thought about getting one those modern British appliances you mention, so your short review of the Tiger is very interesting. Don't know that I'm doing it any time soon.

You mention buying your first BSA in '74. I bought my A10 in '73 and, until about two years ago (when I bought a barn-find A7), it was the only bike I'd ever owned. So, I'm jaw-dropped by all your toys.

Oddly, I think Dutch was referring to Toronto, OH. For years I've thought about getting to the OVBSAOC Rally, but I keep putting it off. Not that far away, really, me being outside of Chicago.

Dutch,

As for twisting "Toronto" from "Tonto", you might as well twist "Kemosabe" into "Kawasaki", which may, or may not, be welcome in Toronto.

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.12. 2015 14:18 »
I was a tempted to mention Sisco and Pancho but held back in respect of transatlantic relations - or did I
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco