Author Topic: A10 plunger project - it started! Thanks for all your help  (Read 365 times)

Offline bakerlonglegs

• A's Good Friend
Started it for the first time yesterday. A very proud moment. My first Brit bike, my first build from a box of bits. It's very, very loud!!

Firstly, thank you very much to all those on this forum who have provided answers to my questions on how to do things. I literally couldn't have done it without you.  *respect* *beer*
Things I've found out, or been reminded of, doing this:
When you think you're 95% of the way there, it's actually more like 50%.
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever buy a project bike in bits, especially when you don't know the type of bike concerned. I've had to teach myself how the bike goes together from a parts book, a Haynes manual, Google, and 2 dozen close-up photos of the same model I saw at a bike show, plus some very helpful and patient people on this forum.
Pattern parts rarely (don't!) fit. Most of my garage time has been spent modifying new parts.
Always insist your job is urgent when farming stuff out. I'm too nice and always say there's no rush = bottom of the queue, instantly.
Powder coat is tough stuff but the thickness means problems putting stuff back together again.
Sometimes you mess things up and have to take the bits off and start again. It happens. Tools down and walk away for a bit.

There's stuff left to do:
Register it! I've got the original buff log book but DVLA haven't heard of it. I'd like to keep the original number plate.
Sort the noise out. I don't mind a loud-ish exhaust but this is really anti-social, especially as I'd like to use it for pottering around the villages and lanes. Might be the cheapo pattern exhaust - question to be asked on the relevant technical section here!
The rear mudguard needs repairing and both mudguards need painting. I did buy a second hand pattern rear mudguard but it nowhere near fits.
Chrome the gear lever and fit the rubber end cover.

Offline Bsalloyd

• A's Good Friend
  • Government is not the answer, it's the problem!
It is a long trip from a couple of boxes of parts to where you are now. It is very rewarding to step back and see how far you have progressed. It looks very nice and will be a joy to ride when properly registered and rolling down the country roads. Nice job. Lloyd L
coastal Texas
1963 Rocket Gold Star
1953 Super Flash
1953 BB Gold Star
1951 ZB34 Gold Star
1956 Triumph T110
1954  Vincent Shadow

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Looking fine+++. Great story, congrats.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I'm envious of you. When your baby sings for the first time is a fabulous moment. Well done!
 *good3* *good3* *good3*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash