Author Topic: What's that.. ???  (Read 675 times)

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
What's that.. ???
« on: 22.11. 2015 04:42 »
Now here's something you don't see every day...    *eek*

Rocket powered Hurricane...
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: What's that.. ???
« Reply #1 on: 22.11. 2015 08:31 »
Just noticed something weird on that picture. I see a gear lever and kickstart, but nothing to rest your foot on???
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.11. 2015 10:22 »
but nothing to rest your foot on???/quote]

In the post with the carburettor/s and number plate *???*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 23.11. 2015 04:59 »
The hurricane was designed by Vetter for BSA and uses all BSA parts.
Have a look at any of them. they all have a rocket 3 motor in a BSA frame.
They then sold it as a Triumph???
Personally I don't like them much.
 cheers

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 23.11. 2015 11:45 »
I really like them, and in green - wow. Never mind the asking price these days, not sure I could live with the tank range.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #5 on: 24.11. 2015 03:55 »
Of course the hurricane was designed as a BSA (full welded cradle frame and inclined motor), its just that the group was on the skids so they ended up branding them as their other marque when they came out in 73.
Quite a few bits missing from that bike (like carburettors) but does look lovely. Some serious money required to buy a genuine one these days.
My factoid is that All the triple engines came out of the BSA works and the last complete machines ever to roll out of small heath were the T160's. A lot is made about these motors being not BSA's, but only the BSA works was capable of making them - the one piece forged crank with twisted throws particularly. Once the cooperative got the nod, the triples were doomed as the co ops works was only capable of making the old twins. As the t160 design was done by the norton designers at NVT it was nicknamed the rodent.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 24.11. 2015 04:36 »
When I was fresh out of college and barely making ends meet (1983), I had an opportunity to buy one from the original owner. Couldn't afford the asking price at the time (I think it was $3,000). I never seen another like it............It was sold to him as, and had badges that said, BSA. I've wondered about it ever since. None of my history books says they were ever produced/sold as BSA.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 24.11. 2015 11:10 »
RR that confirms my understanding re the collapse of BSA , smallheath being the designated engine plant and assembly line but the workers at triumph were able to shout loudest and politicians of the day didn't know there idiot from there elbow concerning bikes or for that matter car production and BSA management was already discredited.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #8 on: 24.11. 2015 19:52 »
Topdad, I think thats a good synopsis. I recently read "BSA motorcycles -the Final Evolution" which covers the 71-72 period and the dis-functionality in the group at all levels was tragic.
When I bought my 72 season A75 I was initially lent a triumph factory manual, then subsequently bought an equivalent  BSA one off fleabay. What was noticeable was that the two manuals for the same engines contained not a single piece of shared content or style. Each factory had written its own manuals from scratch. 
One thing that was at least ironically humorous in hindsight was that the infamous dove grey frames were a response to a request from the american market for silver frames; but a manager at the factory got a good price on a bulk load of grey instead  *bash* ...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand