Author Topic: When Dreams become reality! - Project Cafe Racer!  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: When Dreams become reality! - Project Cafe Racer!
« Reply #15 on: 01.10. 2013 14:43 »
Hi Luke , good to hear progress. From my basic knowledge of BSA's history after a debacle in about 1926 ?? no official factory team, but they sponsored individuals mostly in a back door manner  ( poss exception of Chris Vincent ) plus there virtual dominance of the Manx with Goldies .
I've always liked the goldie colour on a tank but once rode a DBD34 with a powder blue tank with similar "stars" as on your tank at present , looked wonderful . Actually with that tank it would look good in any colour so go with whatever you will like, BEST WISHES bOBh
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline madsens

• A's Good Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
« Reply #16 on: 01.10. 2013 17:53 »

Like the Sammy Milles BSA MC1?

BSA Racing green  http://www.flickr.com/photos/39648370@N06/8200314424/

regards
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #17 on: 02.10. 2013 10:20 »
That is rather nice, I have seen a nice green, almond green and I do like red too!

I have also just got meself a tomaselli quick action throttle which should go nicely with the levers

Just waiting on stations and I should get the bike rolling minus the rear wheel ( may mock up with old wheel)

I'm also mocking up a steering damper, I doubt I'll need it but would be another nice addition :)
1960 BSA A7SS
1960 BSA A10 Police bike - rebuild
1960 BSA A10 Project Caferacer
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler

Offline JulianM

• A's Good Friend
  • www.historiccompetitionservices.be
    • Historic Competition Services
« Reply #18 on: 10.12. 2013 08:56 »
Hi Luke,

Hope I'm not too late to answer your exhaust question, and spur you on to keep the build going at a good rate!

Siamesed exhausts etc,

A hard one to answer just like that but will try.
Generally you are trying to harness the exhaust pulse waves and tune the exhaust diameters and joins etc to coincide with these waves at certain rev ranges (as the frequency of the waves change with revs and pipe diameter etc. and are very heavily influenced by primary to secondary joins, you can never have it perfect all the time) so a well designed Siamesed system will (hopefully) harness the reversal low pressure pulses from two pipes and make them work on both cylinders, thus engine may work over a wider range than single pipes. However the max power may be slightly down at full revs etc. 
Just like megaphones help power at the top but narrow the power band,
Fitting a reverse cone of the right shape will help to widen the power spread but nock the top very slightly.
Siamesed pipes will give a better spread of power but not the absolute ultimate "number"
On the road you will probably feel little difference although a boost in the low to mid range will certainly be present with a good set of Siamesed pipes. 
Sometimes they also help to "fill in" a noticeable dead spot in the low / mid range and for this they are invaluable!

We see on the rolling road quite often that a certain adjustment or setup gives a few more bhp at the top but can rob 5 or 10 bhp in the mid range.
This is why you never just look at the big numbers without studying the complete graph.  Give me 5 in the mid range any day over 2 at the top!

Twin pipes sound better though  *smile*
And can look amazing.
Any one see the lovely A65 cafĂ© from Japan in the recent Classic Bike Guide?   Awesome styling!!!

Regards,
Julian

PS.
The above is incredibly simplified but hopefully gives the general idea.

52 Ducati Cucciolo Race bike 50cc
64 Triumph TR6 SS
67 Triumph 100C
67 ILO Race Bike  50cc
71 Sachs Race Bike  50cc
71 Laverda 750SF,
71 Laverda/Egli 750SF, Race bike,
71 Norton Commando 750 Roadster,
71 Norton Commando 750 SS
75 Laverda 3C,
75 Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk0,
76 Beta Cross TR6  50cc
80 Ducati 900 MHR,
81 Yamaha RD350LC

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #19 on: 17.12. 2013 19:49 »
Cheers Julian, sorry I haven't been on here much as work has taken over me life!

You will be please to know that the front brake is officially complete, stays have been made along with new brake rods and stainless steel clevises so no rust issues!

Apart from that the build hasn't really progressed, hopefully in the new year it will restart and Ill get back to business, I have till May to get it done as its entered into a local show and will be one of the main exhibits  *smile*

My dad has also been lucky enough to pick up a B31 Alternator model swing arm restoration project, this will be hidden away till the caferacer's finished and we have saved up again  *smile*

Luke
1960 BSA A7SS
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #20 on: 11.01. 2015 14:46 »
Wow haven't been on here in over a year! Just a small update to the ongoing project, due to a complete change of career, my commuter being stolen, then being found the project was put on hold!

A few bits have been done along with the spec of the bike

The GT750 rear hub has known been replaced with a later conical type unit as he 750 hub was FAR too heavy!  this will be polished and fitted with new bearings, shoes and sprocket

Front forks have been completed, new bushes, bearings, Taylor Dow fork adjusters, Taylor dow top yoke, clip ons.

The front hub spindle has gone I to the engineers to be  re profiled.
Next on the list is the engine, so far -

A10 large journal crank, thick flange barrels and alloy head

What do people think about 9.5.1 Pistons? After as much power as I can BUT not so much it becomes unreliable!
1960 BSA A7SS
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #21 on: 11.01. 2015 18:57 »
G'day Lukey. My how time flys, I looked at the date of your last visit and thought only last month, then looked again and saw 2013! The only thing lower than a thief is a politician, they do it while you watch.
9.5:1 will work fine with a 357 cam, 1-1/2" inlet valve, 1-5/32" 389 carb (match the manifold to suit). That'll bring it up to RGS specs.
Balance everything, polish the rods and rockers, chamfer the bottom edge of the piston skirts (inwards).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 11.01. 2015 19:11 »
A bit late as a suggestion for the front brake I know but came across this pic of the TLS brakeplate with the outer flange machined off. Looks much more the part to me so thought I'd post it anyway!

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #23 on: 09.08. 2015 19:30 »
WOW! Time to revive an old thread as the project is back on the burner and its time to push on and get it built!

I have obtained a rear conical hub from a latter BSA/Triumph, this will be drilled for cooling/lightness then polished up to match the GT750 hub! 

Still an ongoing problem with the tank! I've decided an original style lyta tank will be used for practicality, alloy again to reduce weight and so I can polish it up!

Watch this space for some trick rearsets and levers as I am having a play around with aluminium  *smile* and I dont find the original position the most comfortable!

1960 BSA A7SS
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler