Author Topic: Not a good day  (Read 726 times)

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
Not a good day
« on: 27.07. 2015 15:49 »
Not the best start to the day. Approaching the Shipbourne Road roundabout(near the Shell station in Tonbridge) and I had to slow for a car on the right when the front wheel tucked under,damp and greasy, no saving it. Hit the road hard, went down like a bag of s**t. Lesson here children wear those leathers they saved me alot of damage as I slammed down on my elbow and hip, they hurt but that's all. I must have tried to dive off as I hit my right thumb on the deck but also moved my left off the bars otherwise it would have been pinned and probably broken my hand/wrist.
I must at this point thank the van driver for waiting for me to pick myself and the bike up so he could continue his journey w****r. One car stopped and asked thank you, and as fate would have it a road sweeper stopped and swept up the glass  *smile* . Went to A&E xray nice and clear no breaks and thanks to them as well quickly seen and helpful. They must see lots of us biking idiots. Some pictures

One artistic shot pre accident

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Not a good day
« Reply #1 on: 27.07. 2015 16:09 »
All I can say is the obvious platitudes like, Sorry it happened; glad you and the bike lived to ride another day.

I might start a forum thread to allow member's to regail us with their falling off motorcycle stories; I have a couple.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 27.07. 2015 16:59 »
I understand Graybeard's point, but I think it is worthwhile (so, not platitudinous) to let a friend know that you are glad he is well or, at least, in one piece. Very glad. As for the bike, well, at least there won't be any casts getting in the way of holding the tools.

Richard L.

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #3 on: 27.07. 2015 17:11 »
I have already started to price up the parts. I hope to straighten out the headlight ears as they are difficult to get hold of(for a cheap price  ;) )

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 27.07. 2015 17:17 »
 Compare it to a crashlanding "any you can walk away from really aren't to bad " Its an absolute bummer particularly when you can't do anything , glad nothings broken . my last one was due to road grit after they'd "repaired the road by throwing grit on top of wet tar but on the corner they'd missed a pile and i went down so quickly , exactly the same as you but other side . The only real damage was the footpeg slider which looked ok but when tightened slipped ,when checked found that the footrest had been forced past its normal position and wasn't gripping on the spline .I fitted a cut down bush from a fork to stop it moving in to far ,a temp measure , still on now 2 yrs later and not moved since. Hope you and the bike are fighting fit sooner rather than later, Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.07. 2015 17:22 »
glad your ok, bit of a bummer tho
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #6 on: 27.07. 2015 18:26 »
The surface near the roundabout is crap and broken/worn away so that doesn't help. Just  the gods conspired against me

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #7 on: 27.07. 2015 20:05 »
Know how you feel. Had something similar a month or two ago.
Pleased both you and the bike look set to recover quickly.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #8 on: 27.07. 2015 20:56 »
That's the plan, depending on cash etc.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #9 on: 27.07. 2015 23:36 »
OUCH...   *eek*     Glad your ok...  the bike & you will be back on the roads in no time..   *good3*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #10 on: 28.07. 2015 06:05 »
All I can say is the obvious platitudes like, Sorry it happened; glad you and the bike lived to ride another day.

I might start a forum thread to allow member's to regail us with their falling off motorcycle stories; I have a couple.

I think we all have a couple, shows we were lucky enough to survive them. At least the old stuff is fairly durable and typically repairable from minor offs.

Could end up being a case of "I lived in a cardboard box in middle of road" type thread though   *whistle*
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 28.07. 2015 09:24 »

I had some of them....first one I remember was a sudden stop at a Stop sign on a slightly wet road with a 'out-of-round' front brake ('58 RR) and nylon TT100 copy....last time I used cheap tyres...

Some years later twice in one day, first on the way home from work on the Gutzzi stopped in town, pulled over-enthusiastically into a parallel park with oil drips... *bash*...then an hour later pulling into my own shed on a gravel driveway- still over-enthusiastic... *bash*.... *bash*.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia