Author Topic: newby  (Read 729 times)

Offline John k

• Moving Up
newby
« on: 11.05. 2016 18:21 »
Hello fellow bikers,
As per the subject a newby to this site,
Just purchased a bitsa A10R built into a 1958 A7 frame,
bought as a project that was abandoned 17 years ago, wrong mudguards wrong fork tops but have sourced some second hand mudguards of the correct type, have sent the mag way for rebuild once back will give it a run before the strip and repaint.
Pictures to follow when completed 2 months ??forgot to say in West Yorkshire England.

Regards John.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: newby
« Reply #1 on: 11.05. 2016 20:17 »
John,

*welcome* Welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction. That sounds like a very good project you have going. It seems you may be new to BSAs but not to motorcycles. What stroke of phycho...uhhh, "inspiration" brought you to deciding to acquire the A10? Looking forward to some pictures and hope you will show some throughout the process without waiting for two years.

I think you made a good move getting the magneto sorted right away rather than letting it slow you down (in both senses of the word) when are ready to ride. Do you know how long the bike has set since it last ran? I suspect you have been visiting the forum for a while and may have read the recent posts about the need to clean out the sludge trap buried in the crankshaft after bike has set for many years. If you have a strip-down planned anyway, you might consider foregoing a test ride before the fact. That will let you put sludge-trap concerns behind you as you have done for the mag (those concerns being spinning rod bearings).

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 11.05. 2016 21:52 »
G'day John.
Were a friendly bunch and only too happy to answer any  *????*'s you may have. I'm sure ($ permitting) she'll be on the road in no time.
I echo Richards concerns about an unknown motor that's been sitting for some time. While the mag's away split the motor for a freshen up. Don't forget the anti siphon valve.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 12.05. 2016 09:41 »
Tahnks for intro post, & welcome aboard.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.05. 2016 09:48 »
Welcome John
Don.t worry about the A7 frame, all but a few rarer A10s were in frames stamped A7, if you come across a frame stamped A10 let me know as it'll be worth a bob or three, oops maybe I shouldn't tell a Yorkshire lad that  *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline John k

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 25.05. 2016 18:05 »
Thanks You all for the welcome,
wanted an A10 a few years ago when I had an A65c 1969 !!!! but You all know how it is Marriage n Kids :-)
got back into bikes around sixteen years ago, About the same time My A10 was rebuilt, Engine was sent to a company that do the end feed conversion, frame n forks sorted n powder coated, new internals fitted, engine has not a spec of dust on it but mag was shot, tin ware was in a very poor state mudguards being off a C15 or some such bike LOL,
previous owner had bought it from Ebay then lost heart when He found out it was a Bitsa and not an original Road Rocket, it sat in His garage for something like 14/15 years but still looked good once I looked past the tin ware, wheels had been rebuilt with Akront rims, Tyres are now shot Shock there then (not)

Have now sourced a pair of valanced mudguards second hand ones fitted the back one just need a few more clamps for that before I strip for painting (the bike honest) fork tops are fitted and look good awaiting inner top front mudguard bridge then I can fit front mudguard and check new back stay, Have just bought an Indian fuel tank that looks good (only time will tell)

Put oil in the tank and fitted the mag filled the float bowl with fuel, Engine started second prod and sounds as it should, Does not burble but roars pipes and silencers are also new 16 year old items loud is not the word its more like thunder,
Oil return is spot on but that engine roar WELL may have to look at a Siamese system, But then again may not LOL, Also not a bit of smoke so pleased to bits with My bike,

May give My R1200rt a rest :-) but then again may just have to go out on the bike more,

will try for pictures soon.

John.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 25.05. 2016 20:12 »
 *good3*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 26.05. 2016 10:40 »
Hi John, and welcome ,sorry for the late post but just catching up on the forum after being away on important forum business in far flung Crete testing the impact of BSA A10 tee shirts on the locals .Pleased to report it was very well rec'd by them  *beer* ...oh and the beer was ok to , enjoy the forum its full of good people with a vast amount of knowledge that they'll share , Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom