Author Topic: About time for an intro...  (Read 1476 times)

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
About time for an intro...
« on: 17.05. 2013 17:49 »
It feels as though it’s time to introduce myself properly, having ‘lurked’ (as Musky put it) around the forum for over a cumulative day.

I’ve owned BSAs for quite some time, the first being a C15 while a ‘learner’ in the very early ‘70s (an SS80 from 1965, bought for £30 – which probably seemed a lot when petrol was about 33p a gallon).  A little later I ran a 1971 American spec Lightning, the vibration from which is still a topic of my wife’s conversation whenever bikes are talked about.  In those days I was at college in London and a member of the BSAOC, attending the South London and occasionally the East London meetings.

In 1976 I was made aware of what turned out to be an RGS for sale.  It had caught fire but had a refurbished rolling chassis and gearbox (std), although the engine was still in bits in a tea chest.  It became mine for £150.  I tinkered a little over the next many years (going abroad didn’t speed up the process at all) and it wasn’t until 2006(!) that the bike finally went down the road under its own power – just.  It could still do with more work and really sorting out (for which the information on this forum is invaluable).  With the RGS came a B31 frame and swinging arm, bought by the previous owner because he didn’t believe the GA10 frame (no kink in the bottom tube) was correct.

As time moved on the Lightning had to go, replaced by a car, and while tinkering with the RGS I bought one or two stainless parts from a chap who was using an incomplete ’59 registered (’60 model) Super Rocket as his pattern source.  Things can’t have been going too well for him because he responded to an offer for the bike, the DA10R engine of which I thought would be a good backup for the RGS.  Well, you know how sad it is to break bikes and I slowly collected the missing bits to add to the A10 stock in the shed.  The SR is the current ‘work in progress’, having really only started seriously this year, and very much in the strip down phase.  Haven’t parts got expensive?

That’s two out of three – there’s another A10 in the family too.  As a result of having two sons and a wish, in a year or two, to do a road trip together I began looking for another late A10.  I looked at a few, including one ‘parts bin special’ on which a number of parts looked odd or didn’t quite fit – so no deal.  However, looking along the line that particular dealer had in stock I spotted an RGS replica that someone had made a really good job of.  It’s from 1957 according to the logbook but also has a DA10R engine and (as far as I know) needs no work at all.  It was a bit more expensive than I’ve been used to but I couldn’t resist.  I never thought I’d buy a replica!

Why bikes and especially BSA?  I blame my mother’s brothers, who turned my head as a young teenager with tales of Gold Flashes, runs to the Kent coast, Johnson’s cafe on the A20, etc.

To finish, four photos – (1) the RGS (not quite standard) at the 2006 Pioneer Run (Epsom), (2) RGS when trailered to accommodation closer to the Goodwood Revival in 2006, (3) the SR in a state of some disassembly and (4) the replica RGS (a build standard to aspire to).

Wishing dry sunny days and clear roads to all… and keep posting those really good tips.

Thanks for looking,
Terry
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: About time for an intro...
« Reply #1 on: 17.05. 2013 22:00 »
 G'day Terry, great intro mate. You've got some nice machinery to play with. What a great idea to do a trip with the boys all on A10's. And will keep the interest in our A's going for another generation.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Briz

• A's Good Friend
  • West Norfolk UK
    • Custom cycle developments
« Reply #2 on: 17.05. 2013 22:50 »
Why bikes and especially BSA?
You dont need to explain stuff like that around here mate! In the blood.
Good on you for keeping bikes together and not breaking them up- and thats from someone who only builds bikes up from parts! *smile*

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.05. 2013 11:40 »
Hi Terry and welcome
I do like that first photo (Epsom), you really captured a broody sky there, did you used camera settings ) or like me just leave it on auto and wait till it looks right)  *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 18.05. 2013 12:50 »
Hello Bill - just a lucky shot, I'm afraid.  And what a pity I put the bike in front of that rubbish bin.
Terry

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 18.05. 2013 22:35 »
hi guys, nice pics, what rubbish bin,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 18.05. 2013 22:50 »
hi guys, nice pics, what rubbish bin,cheers

Wooow.... Some black magic here....Scary *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 18.05. 2013 22:54 »
Good one Kiwipom. But now anytime you put in a pic for Best Picture Comp it will be scrutinized. ;)
Bet you couldn't make a pic of me look good. *whistle*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #8 on: 19.05. 2013 08:16 »
Hello kiwipom - either you've too much spare time or the weather where you are must have been terrible.  Good job though!
Terry

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: About time for an intro... UPDATE May 2015
« Reply #9 on: 04.05. 2015 21:13 »
What a feeling!  No, not the title of a dodgy rock song but what I got this afternoon when my rebuilt Super Rocket started first kick, and sounded really crisp too.  Could have knocked me down with a feather.

BIG THANKS all round - to T&L (bottom end and rebore), H T Howard (Slough) Engine Services (cylinder head rebuild), Central Wheel Components (stainless rims and spokes), Tony Cooper MCs (magneto rebuild), Priory Magnetos (many sundry parts and spare mag rebuild), Barleycorn (stainless fasteners and fittings), Lightning Spares (stainless parts), Chronometrics UK (clocks), Draganfly (sundry parts) and many suppliers of odds and ends I should also have included.

A few months to go now, before we (I and the two boys) take our three A10s on the ferry from Portsmouth to Spain to tour back through France over a few days.  Why not?

The Rocket 3 tour!  That is - '57 Super Rocket (RGS replica), '59 ('60 model) Super Rocket and '63 Rocket Gold Star.

Wonder if we'll make?
Terry

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 05.05. 2015 16:18 »
sure you will ,our Ozzie mates go further to get a cold one!! I really envy you that trip especially as you've got your lads with you ,enjoy it cos it'll fly over , best of luck Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom