Author Topic: A seat for the RGS  (Read 621 times)

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
A seat for the RGS
« on: 17.01. 2015 16:15 »
I swopped around the seats on my bikes and I ended up with an old style seat pan as a basis for something to go on the RGS.  End result fitted today, as the photo shows (provided I uploaded it correctly!).

A bit posy, I know, but what the he..

Was very lucky in that an acqaintance provided most of a hide for me to play with.

Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A seat for the RGS
« Reply #1 on: 17.01. 2015 17:51 »
Looks well done Terry. having just fitted a new cover on mine I know it's not that straight forward.
any pillion you might have will get a good view over your head *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #2 on: 18.01. 2015 05:19 »
Hello  Bill, I was thinking a hump might firstly look the part on a cafe racer, secondly discourage any would-be pillion passenger but finally also be an occasional seat if really necessary. It's been fun just working out how to get it done and it took me a while to find some replacement edge clips, which are from Bresco in Loughborough (1.2 to 3.6 mm panel thickness size).
I inherited a Singer treadle sewing machine and it has coped with the 1- 1.5 mm soft leather with absolutely no trouble. By contrast, I struggled to get a needle through even one layer by hand.
If I get keen and find some time I'll add a trimming strip all round to hide the clips. There's enough hide left for that.
As usual, if I had to do the job again I might get a better result.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.01. 2015 09:01 »
If I get keen and find some time I'll add a trimming strip all round to hide the clips.

Yes this is how Leightons that supplied my cover do it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco