Author Topic: Newbie intro  (Read 486 times)

Offline fastback1968

• Active
Newbie intro
« on: 30.01. 2015 00:25 »
Hello folks, newbie here and am introducing myself per Muskrat's request.  When looking for a second donor I stumbled upon a GA7XXXXX frame while searching for  donor frames for parts I needed on a B34 GS that was used for hillclimbing and had its non-essentials like brakes, tank saddle, tank steady, and rear lower loops removed.  I was going to chop a thing or two off of the GA7 that I needed which were lacking on the first donor and weld them on the B34 frame but seemed like the GA7 frame was too nice to ruin and had the 4 lug configuration.  So, rather than make it an organ donor, I figured I could make a RGS replica, and have started collecting parts for a RGS replica, or perhaps some sort of A10 anyhow.  Anyhow, here I am.  Have on hand:
68 Fastback
72 Combat Commando
73 Commando
56 B34 GS
65 Lightning Rocket
69 Thunderbolt
71 B50SS
67 Triumph 650
71 Bonneville original 5 speed
92 K75s
A10 bitsa

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Re: Newbie intro
« Reply #1 on: 30.01. 2015 01:18 »
Nice collection! Must say I'm a bit jealous of the Commandos. Going to pick one up in March, but it's been parked for 25 years, so another project.  Hope you're somewhere sunny and warm, as it takes a lot of good weather to keep that many bikes "exercised".

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 30.01. 2015 02:26 »
Yes, great assortment. Please consider my envy as a compliment. Now, as for what I covet most in this photo: the original side stand.

Richard L.

Offline fastback1968

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 30.01. 2015 10:47 »
Yes, the side stand was what I was looking for when I purchased the second donor frame as the first donor, which is the better looking painted one was missing its sidestand and its lug was ruined.  Can't stand the thought of chopping that rusty one up though because it is straight and 4 lug.  The painted frame is bent and I already removed the fuel tank saddle for the B34.  Rear frame loops are next to go, and the tank steady on the lower top tube which is also missing on the B34.   Don't ever sit on or lean hard at an angle when your bike is on its sidestand!  You will risk damaging the lug on the frame and have problems thereafter.  I have been practicing welding thin wall stuff as I don't wanna make a mess of this transplant.  And I'm too paranoid to farm the welding out.  Anybody know what the wall thickness is on an A10 frame?  I think I saw a RGS restoration that probably answers that question - guy had a real mess to deal with in the head steady area and did a beautiful job fixing it.  I'll have to take another look at it if I can find it. 
As to sunny and warm, unfortunately I live on a hill with a driveway from hell that currently would qualify as a moderate difficulty Luge run.  Bikes are parked for the winter.   For years I have contemplated a sidecar but they use so much salt and brine here the whole rig would be rendered junk in a couple years.   

I'd say a Commando or any bike sitting for 25 years is often better than one that has been mishandled by inept owners as a starting point.  Fasteners are often less buggered, more original parts are present, things aren't as worn out, etc.    My 68 has a 1970's license plate on it and was last used 39 years ago.  It is a project, but quite original and complete, with rust. 

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 30.01. 2015 17:46 »
Hello & welcome, thanks for the intro. Looks like you won't have any problems with spending spare time & money :O) Congrats on your collection.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"